Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > In a bank    

In a bank

pantyajutka
Hungary

In a bank

Dear Friends,

I have a problem with a word.

When you step in a bank first you have to get a number from a machine.

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS MACHINE?

Thank you for your help.

J.

1 Apr 2013      

chuppacricri
France

In France we have them at the post office but not in banks (at least not in mine but there are hardly more than 2 people waiting).

You should check with a native speaker but I would call these machines a queue ticket machine or a ticket dispensing machine.

Christelle

1 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We don �t have these machines  in banks in England, insofar as I know. I haven �t seen them in supermarkets, where we used to have them, for a long time, either. I never heard anyone refer to them by name, it would just be �take a ticket from the machine. � So, I would say, Christelle is right, queue ticket machine or just ticket machine.

1 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we have them in delis, and really don �t have a specific name for that machine. We just call it the machine where you get the ticket/number/number ticket.

Bruce

1 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Being curious I did a google and found an array of results:

deli number machine
ticket dispenser
take a number machine
queue management system
take a number sysytem ticket dispenser

We have them, in various styles, in govt departments and deli counters in supermarkets.  Never seen them in banks or post offices (just the standard queue system)

Cheers

Jayho

1 Apr 2013     

pantyajutka
Hungary

Thank you for your answers!!!

J.

2 Apr 2013