Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Registration open class for students of varying levels    

Registration open class for students of varying levels

muyang1984
Canada

Registration open class for students of varying levels

Hello Fellow Teachers,

I think I might have posted this post in the wrong area of the forum. Anyway. This is the final place I �ll post it.

Need some help here for this one! Anyone, please post any ideas you have. I am a fairly new esl teacher in China. There is a company I �m working for. The boss is someone my wife knows quite well, so the relationship is quite good. Anyway he has opened an ESL training center here and has scheduled an open class where parents and children that I have never met before will come and listen to me teach. The objective is to make them satisfied enough to register with this training center.
So I have got the task to do this open class. There will be 100 students of varying levels from Grade 1 - 6 and my task is to make them talk. The DURATION is 45 minuets. Obviously I will choose some students maybe 10 to do some kind of task where they need to speak. The topic will have to be fairly easy because there are grade 1 esl students there as well.

Please post your ideas in regards to what kind of topic I could choose for this occasion. I �ve NEVER met. This is an open class for the public to come and see to see whether they want to register with this company.

Thanks guys

2 Apr 2013      

sadeel
Palestine

I think using the game "find someone who" is suitable for this situation, and there r many good examples of it in this site. another way is to give them the magic box. it �s to draw a box that contains about "9" letters and tell them to write as much words as they can by using only these letters. another thing, u can bring a small box or bag and put some papers in it after u wrote some verbs on the papers like "jump, run, hop, skip" let them take one paper and act the verb without saying any word, the other children should guess the verb, I use the same idea with the animals names and the s.s have to guess them. 

2 Apr 2013     

muyang1984
Canada

Good ideas so far. Thanks a lot

2 Apr 2013     

muyang1984
Canada

The find some who idea for grade 1 chinese students would be too hard. But I might try it.

2 Apr 2013     

muyang1984
Canada

Good ideas so far. Thanks a lot

2 Apr 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

You might want to organise centres of activities - at least 15 mins can be spent in centres - after the initial ice-breakers (so many games and ideas here), you will get a fair idea of age groups and levels you �re dealing with, so you can organise groups according to that and have each group do a different activity - they can make posters, e. g. some can do the basic match pic and card game, some can sort out a famous rhyme or even song (if you have teenagers) and make a poster of it, etc. In the end, you �d do well to teach them all a simple song in English to get them all to sing together and go home smiling (Lean on Me, Stand by me, We are the champions...)

2 Apr 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

you can find some tips here:

I can �t even imagine having a hundred students in one class (my largest group has 16 students) Of course, you need all the support you can get. Unfortunately, I can �t speak from experience so I just shared the links to some tips I thought might be useful.
Here you can watch some videos with activities in class
Sophia

2 Apr 2013     

orly100
Israel

I �d like to thank YOU Sophia for all the great tips, for your time, and for being so kind to share your knowledge with us almost every day Clap
Have a great day.
Orly

2 Apr 2013     

muyang1984
Canada

You guys are all wonderful. Thank you so much for all your contributing ideas. I will see what I can do. Some of you might not know this class is just for the open class and then after the open class they will be separated into levels and separated into different classrooms where there �ll be maybe 20 in each maybe 15. So I won �t be teaching hundred students every week. They �re going to be separated by level and put into various classrooms . this just the registration/open class.

Thanks again for your help. 
Please don �t mind the grammar mistakes in my post because I �m using a dictation software to input it,  because my keyboard is broken. Haha

Regards
Mike

2 Apr 2013