Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > need help for behaviour of my student    

need help for behaviour of my student

elt_yasmin
Turkey

need help for behaviour of my student

I �m teaching to adoleacents and today I got dissappointed by what my student said to me. As I �m teaching in Turkey and  salaries are not high. while we are talking at break time, she said I will earn much more money you work so much like a FOOL!! Yes she said this to me  I was so shocked that I couldn �t say anything. But I  felt  really really bad:(( 
Here they get money from agriculture so they needn �t study at university so most of the families and sometimes students fail to see the importance of education. 
Can anyone say anything to make me feel better? Or any suggestions to change this perception.

2 Apr 2013      

samibtissem
Tunisia

Yasmin,Don �t worry a lot about this it �s nearly the same in Tunisia but we should believe in what we are doing we are planning for a lifetime .Our goal is much more important than money.It is enlightening the others � paths.

Smile and go aheadSmile

2 Apr 2013     

moemendhia
Tunisia

hello Yasmin
Don �t even think about those words, �cause this generation do not give any value to education!what matters for them money & money & only money!!!!& this is a widespread attitude among all pupils!!!but ,  we as teachers we already know that teaching isn �t the right path to get rich , we have a mission in which we believe & try to achieve!so, go ahead without being drawn down by any disappointing reactions!!!
good night
henda 
best wishes

2 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Teachers everywhere are underpaid, so it seems. Your student was being a rude, disrespectful teenager. Discipline her in whatever way your school deems appropriate.   

I might talk with her and learn more about her career plans. If she wants to do something ambitious but realistic (computer programming, engineering, for example), then encourage her and just say that your interests and abilities lie elsewhere. If she wants to do something ambitious but unrealistic (rock star, famous actress), point out that most people who go into entertainment consider themselves lucky if they can support themselves without a second job. Strongly encourage a Plan B. If she wants to marry a rich man, point out that she �s likely to marry someone twice her age or older, and probably ugly to boot.

Farming is a hard life, and most of the time people don �t get rich from farming, at least not here in the USA. The way farmers get rich is by not farming: they sell the land. Even farmers can use good education; both agriculture and business classes are very helpful.

And as ambitissem and moemendhia also mentioned, we aren �t teachers for the money. We open doors to other professions, and more importantly, we help to open minds to other possibilities. Without you and other English teachers, she couldn �t watch American movies or British TV. She couldn �t listen to Canadian or Australian music. (I won �t mention reading books. It sounds like she wouldn �t appreciate those.)

2 Apr 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Remember the wise words of Oscar Wilde.... "I �m not nearly young enough to know it all."

You know why you teach.  She just doesn �t get it.  I�d admonish her for being rude but other than this, let it roll off your back. 

Dar

2 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Don �t let this kind of teenage nonsense bother you! Don �t let the student see that she has bothered you, either. I would reply, Good for you, sweetie! Don �t forget me when you are a millionaire. � 

3 Apr 2013     

alvalen
United States

It is sad that society see us teachers like that. It �s not the students � fault, they only mirror society. 

Teaching is one of the most important jobs. Tell her that without teachers there wouldn �t be doctors to save lives. Add other professions that are highly regarded in Turkey.

Cheer up and keep doing what you do!

3 Apr 2013     

naznas
Malaysia

I �m sorry to hear this..but it happens everywhere. I understand how you feel because I consistently face this kind of attitude because I �m working in a language institute and the students are from around the world.

They like to simply say things about the teacher without even thinking that we were the ones who gave them a �mouth �..They have no right to say anything if we �re not doing anything wrong to them.

I am very disappointed with the current group that we have nowadays.

Just be patient because there are always other students whom appreciate you and your effort.

3 Apr 2013     

Jehanne18
France

I understand how you must feel as I got a similar remark last year from one of my students, but I got over it, and in fact, a few days later, some of his classmates had told him off for his attitude and told him why school was important. You might get the same reaction from your other students. If not, do not worry, as some said, she is young and lacks experience! She will understand as she grows up!
Come on, cheer up and why not prepare them a lesson about "money and what is important in life"!
Good luck.

3 Apr 2013     

tejames
Colombia

Hi:

I have a very different approach to life now. The question is ...Do you like teaching? all the rest doesn �t matter. You got a reflection of something that in your inner self has to be considered.
Why do you feel bad? Once you learn what teaching is really about you will  find out that it �s the most challenging and uplifting task that a being can do.

Enjoy 

3 Apr 2013     

elt_yasmin
Turkey

Hello,
Thank you for all your responses. Actually I like teaching but this kind of events make me dissappointed about what I �m doing. sometimes they do not know how to speak so I decided to , with your helps, not to let it bother me. Also I hope I �ll give her an answer for this in a different situation implicitly.
wish you smarter pupils:))

3 Apr 2013