Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Elderberry chose me as the winner! So, here is your new word of the day: Remember, it �s what could it mean, not what  does it mean! Let �s have your entries, please, brilliant, absurd, witty or just plain silly, for:

C O N C A T E N A T I O N

3 Apr 2013      

dmharg
Greece

Conan the barbarian had a nickname. His nickname was Con. So Con had a cat. Its name was Concat. Well Concat was really bad and Con sent him to sleep in a tent at night. It was concatentation at first but as the years go by some vowels left....  so it is concatenation now :)

3 Apr 2013     

maryse pey�
France

In Italian "con" means "with" and "caten(e)" means "chains" so "concatenation" is of Italian origin and means "to make someone walk, jump or anything else with chains as a punishment" !

I just want to precise that my husband freely married me... Just in case !

3 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What about if it �s a verb - to concatenation. Any offers?

3 Apr 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Let �s call a cat a cat ;o)
Well, today we have a lot of virtual worlds on the net.... for playing, instruction... Some of them are called e-nations (like the word e-mail, e-connection...)

You surely remember the Latin root of "con"= "with"

So, a "con-cat e-nation" = a "concatenation" is, in other words: "A virtual world in which you can only enter if your avatar shows you with your cat.   Meowww ;o))

3 Apr 2013     

Pelletrine
France

.... Sorry, didn �t see your offer/question before I posted:

....... If it is a verb, it must be a virtual world you can only create with the help of your best furred friend ( your cat of cause) ;o)  :

" I just concatenationed " Cats Best Bite E-nation" on the net: looking forward to seeing you there ;o))

3 Apr 2013     

florimago
Spain

In Spanish "con" means "with", "cate" is a slang Word for "fail at school" and everybody knows what "nation" means so "concatenation" is a Spanglish word describing those countries which show a high academic failure , is that clear? Flori

3 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Co: company
N: chemical symbol for nitrogen
CA: abbreviation for California
Tena: Swahili for "together"
-tion: act of or state of being

So, quite obviously, Concatenation is a California company that specializes in bringing together nitrogenous products such as liquid nitrogen, ammonia, and fertilizer in one place. Simple!

3 Apr 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Concatenation  It �s a hybrid between a cat and a carnation.

4 Apr 2013