Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Guys native English speakers, please help me to understand.     

Guys native English speakers, please help me to understand.

yingwenlaoshi
Russian Federation

Guys native English speakers, please help me to understand.

What is the different between these two sentences? 

1) As soon as he opens the safe we will be able to take all the money. 
2) As soon as he has opened the safe we will be able to take all the money. 

I cannot understand why in the first sentence Present Simple is used and in the second one - Present Perfect. Thanks everyone in advance! 

8 Apr 2013      

dmharg
Greece

Hi! I am not a native speaker but both sentences are correct. As you know we do not use will after as soon as. Instead we use a present or a perfect  tense.
For example: They will let us know as soon as they receive/have received our message.
                      Once the snow falls/has fallen the skiers will start arriving.

8 Apr 2013     

yingwenlaoshi
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot for your answer. I thought that there should be some difference in meaning if we use Present Simple or Present Perfect. But it seems like they are interchangeable? Am i right? 

8 Apr 2013     

dmharg
Greece

:) Yes you are, in a time clause there must be a sequence of tenses. present tense in the main clause, present tense in the time clause, past tense in the main, past tense in the time clause.  :)

8 Apr 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Yingwenlaoshi,

I think that, in essence, the two sentences mean the same thing.

In "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" (2010), by Professor R. Quirk and others, they write regarding several subordinators, including �as soon as�.

They indicate that, when using the subordinator in the Subordinate Clause, there is often a choice between using the Present Tense OR the Perfect Tense.

The meanings are �roughly the same�.

They imply that the Present Tense is �more commonly used� than the Perfect Tense.

They write:

The Present Tense in adverbial and nominal clauses (page 1008)

The Simple Present is commonly used in certain types of adverbial clauses to express future meaning.

... ...

As soon as he arrives, the band will play the National Anthem. 

The Perfective with Other Temporal Clauses (pages 2018-2019)

... ...

The Present Perfective is common in temporal as well as conditional clauses for a future event referred to in the matrix clause ... ...

As soon as I�ve retired, I�ll buy a cottage in the country.

------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, when I read your two sentences:

1) As soon as he opens the safe we will be able to take all the money.
2) As soon as he has opened the safe we will be able to take all the money.

In 1), I imagine that �we� are approching the safe, confident that it will be open soon.
In 2), I imagine that �he� has been trying to open the safe for the past few minutes, but that it will be open soon.

I am sure that other Members will have have other ideas.

However, I repeat, broadly speaking, the two sentences mean the same thing.

I hope that I have helped you.

Очень рад!

Les  

8 Apr 2013     

yingwenlaoshi
Russian Federation

Dear ldthemagicman and dmharg  thank you a lot for your answers. You �ve helped me a lot! 

8 Apr 2013