Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > airline jobs    

airline jobs

RENZO
Peru

airline jobs

Hello dear friends around the world

I am teaching the topic AIRLINE INDUSTRY

Please I would like to know the differences among thes:

Flight attendants , stewards/stewardesses, air hosts/hostesses, cabin attendants

flight′ attend`ant
n.

an airline employee who serves meals and attends to passengers � comfort and safety during a flight.

air hostess ( air hostesses plural ) An air hostess is a woman whose job is to look after the passengers in an aircraft.

Are they British or American English.

Please, I would like you to send me WS about these jobs. other kind of material.

I will be very grateful, thanks in advance.

God bless you.

8 Apr 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

There �s really no difference as far as the job duties go. We tend to use flight attendant as the official job description in the USA because it is gender-neutral. We used stewardess when I was a little girl because most people in the position were women, often hired for their looks. Now most American flight attendants are 40 or older.

8 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Air hostess is an old fashioned term, not used at all nowadays. It harks back to a time when they had to be young and beautiful. They had to be over 5 �4 as well, which disqualified me. Cabin crew, flight attendants, stewards and stewardesses, I think all those terms are used. 

9 Apr 2013     

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

I would use FLIGHT ATTENDANT to avoid discrimination))) But I �m not a native speaker, so I may be mistakenErmm

9 Apr 2013     

RENZO
Peru

Dear friends I am very grateful for your answers.

It means that they are synonyms.

Flight attendants = cabin crew = stewards(male)= stewardesses(f)= air hosts/hostesses =cabin attendants: an airline employee who serves meals and attends to passengers � comfort and safety during a flight.

air hostess ( air hostesses plural ) An air hostess is a woman whose job is to look after the passengers in an aircraft. Air hostess is an old fashioned term, not used at all nowadays.

Are they correct?

Conveyor belt or Luggage carrousel        Is it correct?

thanks in advance for your help.

Take care and God bless you.

9 Apr 2013