Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Moderators are trigger happy and not .....    

Moderators are trigger happy and not .....

tejames
Colombia

Moderators are trigger happy and not .....

Hi to all:

My disappointment with the moderators is that some are trigger happy.
Several of my contributions have been removed because of the cliparts. Well I use google free clipart search which some of the teachers also use but only my worksheets get removed. I �ve asked for an explanation but then the trigger happy moderator doesn �t comply.

My question is easy........why my contributions get removed when the use of those cliparts is free?

Why, why, why

10 Apr 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

Perhaps you used watermarked cliparts. This is a watermarked clipart and you can �t use it even if you can find it on google. Hope it helps.

10 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi there too

Your reported contributions are no longer on the reporting page so we can �t see why they were reported.  They are usually on that page for about half a day.  I don �t recall seeing them but maybe someone else did.

Anyone with 30+ points can report a printable for breaking the rules, including yourself .  So I �m not sure that your �trigger happy � definition applies here.  Moderators simply vote as to whether you have followed the rules.

There is only one way to appeal a decision and that is to contact the site administrator.  Given that there are up to 40 printables on the reporting page at any one time, and that 95% of those do actually break the rules, I doubt whether the SM will have time to follow up every appeal.  But you can only try.

The next best option is to simply upload them again but perhaps you should cite your image sources in the footer just to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Apr 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. I just did a quick Google search for free clipart and there were many pictures there that were watermarked. I guess just because you get them from Google that does not mean that they are necessarily free or are not copyrighted. I don �t think there �s a conspiracy from "trigger happy" blood sucking moderators. As jayho explained, anyone with 30 points or more can report a contribution. Ed

10 Apr 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The issue of clipart images has been discussed on this forum times and times again. You see, you can copy any picture from google search BUT that doesn �t mean the image is copyright free. Google does warn you that the image can be subject to copyright. Some authors/owners of images put a watermark on their work BUT others don �t, however, they do list the terms of use on their websites and it is YOUR responsibility  as a user to check them before you use their pics. We �ve seen authors of images come here and complain about their work being used and published here for distribution without their concent. As you may know, in such cases they can report abusers to google and the website can be blocked for copyright infringement. Now, would you want your favourite website which you obviously benifit from as a teacher to be blocked or persecuted? 
If you created something for your classroom use and you �re not sure about the terms of use of some of the image, my advice would be not to upload such a worksheet. 
There are lots of websites with clipart images offered free for educational use or which contain public domain images which are no longer subject to copyright. Check our bookmarks and older forum posts for lists of such sites and create your own library of the websites you like the most and use their images in the worksheets.
Moderators are doing their job which is done voluntarily and free of charge and which is time consuming and often not as easy as it seems. They are helping to keep the site clean and running.
Sophia 

10 Apr 2013     

MelissaEFL
Costa Rica

Hi!!

These webpages are really useful to have cliparts without watermarks.

http://a2z.phillipmartin.info/index.htm 

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/ http://www.clker.com/clipart-29067.html 

http://classroomclipart.com/clipart/Music.htm 

http://tell.fll.purdue.edu/JapanProj//FLClipart/default.html

10 Apr 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

A lot has already been said.
I just want to add that one person can report. However, more than one moderator vote about the removal or not.

Before you accuse anyone of being trigger happy, just get your facts straight!

10 Apr 2013     

imelda
Mexico

Well unfortunately I do have to say that sometimes moderators are in a hurry and dont always check what they vote for. I had mentioned before that one of my contributions was removed because someone gave a fake link and I suppose no one checked it because it only led to bogglesworld but to nothing like mine and it was voted and removed. I have sent 2 emails to Victor but I have had no response maybe he has been very busy but I am still sad about it.  I do urge moderators to check what they vote for carefully because it is part of the job of being a moderator.

10 Apr 2013