Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Warm-up activities     

Warm-up activities

tinutza_77
Romania

Warm-up activities

Dear collegues,

Can you suggest me some warm-up ideas on sports, intermediate level/high school students?

Thanks in advance

11 Apr 2013      

dmharg
Greece

You can have a talk with them about the Olympics :)

11 Apr 2013     

Remy76
France

Depending on what your objectives are, you could have them talk about what should be assessed in high school sports sessions: raw performance, improvement etc... This could prompt a class discussion.
Another idea is to have them brainstorm on sports (athlete salaries, business, doping, economic aspects, technique, ethics, training, body perception [compare the perception and management of pain by football (soccer) players and rugby players] that �ll bring out vocabulary and ideas. Just make sure that you tell them you �re expecting sentences and not just words in isolation.
Hope this helps

11 Apr 2013     

maceman
Canada

You may find some interesting sports warm-up ideas here:
http://busyteacher.org/7897-play-game-fun-esl-sports-activities.html
Have a great day!

11 Apr 2013     

Missvanity
Costa Rica

Hello!

You can make two teams, ask two students (one from each team) to come to the front  and show those two students the name of a sport, so they have to act to represet that sport and his/her group has to guess which sport he/she is representing. The team who guesses first win a point. Then you ask the teams for two different studets, you show them another sport.. and so on :) This game is called charades, once I used it as a warm-up activity and my students loved it! Specially with sports like boxing, soccer or swimming.

18 Apr 2013