Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confusing words    

confusing words

blesses
Palestine

confusing words

Hi english experts!

whats the difference between: immigration, emigration, and migration?

Thanks alot

11 Apr 2013      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hithere! im�mi�grate/ˈɪmɪˌgreɪt/ Show Spelled [im-i-greyt] Show IPA verb, im�mi�grat�ed, im�mi�grat�ing. verb (used without object) 1. to come to a country of which one is not a native, usually for permanent residence. 2. to pass or come into a new habitat or place, as an organism. verb (used with object) 3. to introduce as settlers: to immigrate cheap labor. mi�grate/ˈmaɪgreɪt/ Show Spelled [mahy-greyt] Show IPA verb (used without object), mi�grat�ed, mi�grat�ing. 1. to go from one country, region, or place to another. Synonyms: move, resettle, relocate. Antonyms: remain. 2. to pass periodically from one region or climate to another, as certain birds, fishes, and animals: The birds migrate southward in the winter em�i�grate/ˈɛmɪˌgreɪt/ Show Spelled [em-i-greyt] Show IPA verb (used without object), em�i�grat�ed, em�i�grat�ing. to leave one country or region to settle in another; migrate: to emigrate from Ireland to Australia. hope this helps!

11 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

Very simplified.

immigrate -- you move into a country
emigrate- you move out of a country
migrate- you move around (like birds)

12 Apr 2013