Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Good bye to the forum...     

Good bye to the forum...

Zora
Canada

Good bye to the forum...

Before I start - In response to the Renca / Ivush fued ... it still is, in my opinion, something that should have never been brought to the board. Petty squabbles should be kept between each other - and Victor if need be.

We don�t need a full scale "war" here on the board and people taking sides. Did Brahim not warn everybody that we should use caution and let Ivush defend herself before saying anything?

But anyways, this was the last straw for me... Ermm

I am personally finding all this stuff quite distasteful (and quite depressing and disheartening) and have decided not to post on the forum again - much as it might hurt me to make such a drastic decision.

I am quite tired of people trashing each other here, it bothers and quite literally hurts me to see others so willing to judge others this way... it�s like we have forgotten that just because we are on the Internet and we can�t see others here, we have the right to express ourselves in a way that we might not do in person.

Politeness and courtesy have been THROWN out the door, and we have become hypocrites in all senses - we ask that we thank each other for our work because "it�s polite"... and yet common courtesies like not pointing fingers or bad-mouthing people behind their backs while turning the whole forum against them is OK *shame-shame on you!* ... and I am not just talking about the Renca thing, there have been two or three instances lately... Eliana was another that I found to be very sad... It�s like we are turning into a bunch of unstable teenagers who like nothing more than to pick at each other and politely call them names while we smile at them...

To my friends (and anyone else who cares) - I will still be putting up printables and I will continue to answer grammar queries but only through my messenger. I am sorry for this but it has become too much... people are acting like kids instead of adults - or teachers - who should technically know better.

Take care - and please learn to treat each other with more kindness and respect.

Linda

26 Jan 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Your forum input will be missed.

R.I.P. Zora/Linda

26 Jan 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I have always tought that the forum is not for reporting stolen worksheets, r unpolite people  or greetings but to ask for teaching help, for sharing sites and experiences. I really can�t see why personal questions should be discussed on the forum, as I think that the big pictures, (although very nice) take to much space and the questions " leave"  the first page very quickly and many teachers can�t get the help they need because only a few collegues could see the questions. So, why don�t we use the personal messenger more for private problems and greetings and spare the forum for real teaching questions.

26 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I am very sorry to hear that Linda.  I understand your disappointment and I�m afraid many other contributors will follow your example if we keep "invading" the forum with private matters. Maybe we�re taking this too far...

I have no doubt that we must not ignore all those worksheets that are stolen or that cannot be considered an ESL resource. I also have no doubt that we ought to report each one of them to Vctor. And, finally, that we may, if we wish, private message the contributor in question and tell him/her politely the reason why we reported the worksheet. I have many doubts, however, about what may be done beyond that.

Renca�s post yesterday, seeing people being unjustly accused here in the forum (about  2 weeks ago it took me about 2 hours to collect evidence to prove that a contributor was not guilty of what he was being accused  in the forum), realizing that I, myself, am losing my good manners when I see so many printables that don�t meet the requirements of the site and, therefore, contribute to "blacken" its image, reading today a  private message of a contributor similar to the one that renca received  - all this has made me stop to think of what I am exactly doing here.

I won�t be as drastic as you Linda, but I no longer will leave comments below the worksheets when they are not ESL resources or when they have been scanned from a book or copied from a website. I will do as I did before -  I�ll  report them to Vctor and  I will private message the contributor when I feel it is appropriate. As Victor himself has said, that is what we should do. Nothing else.

Wish you all a nice day!
mena

26 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

I am so sorry to hear of your decision Zora. You were always there:  positive and helpful! I urge you to stay and provide a model of what the forum should be used for!

As teachers I think we have to think about how we deal with undesirable behavior. Is it preferable to address the behavior with some sort of logical consequence (report the printable so it is deleted and the contributor learns the rule) or address the student in front of their peers? I think many of us forget about the human aspect when typing into a computer. Let`s calm ourselves and trust the process that Victor has provided. It works. 

26 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I�ve noticed all these ��personal�� issues for  a long time, I never really cared.... sometimes I did like when some teachers called ��pathetic�� to those who don�t leave comments. As I find this topic itself a ��personal issue�� .... why to bring it here? If I am not going to answer a forum I just dont and dont publish it anouncing "I won�t".

We are all being kids...

Let�s  not forget what this site is really for!!! I bet victor feel dissapointed of some topics on the forum as well.

Linda, we�ll miss you in the grammar forums tho.

26 Jan 2009     

Abeera
Pakistan

Hi
Ive recently joined this site i liked it as its given a gr8 help to the students and even teachers but as m new so i dont really know how to use this site and create points and what kinda items i have to upload so can i plz have some guidance???
                                     Thanks
                                         Abeera

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Sorry to see you go Zora/Linda, you have always supplied good input.  It�s your choice and you�re an educated adult so I respect your decision. Remember that it is always okay to come back if you change your mind--sometimes people need a cooling-off period.  I think you would be welcomed if you later returned and would hope that people would let bygones be bygones.

Good luck to you.

Douglas

26 Jan 2009