Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice!    

Advice!

mirelli
Brazil

Advice!

Hello esp friends!

Here is my issue:

I have a group of 4 students, all adults in the begining. Three of them have their difficulties but they are understanding and "walking" but the is one student that is really lost in classes. He doesn �t recognize the words, I explain somenthing, he says he understood and then when I ask him to do some exercises he just doesn �t know how to do it.
What should I do? I don �t want him to be unmotivated and I don �t want to unmotivate the others.

Please help me!

Thanks

15 Apr 2013      

Miss Mi�o
Chile

Well I �ve been through the same in occasions, with little ones and teens. What I do, first of all, is talk personally with the student, and make him/her feel that you are trustful and no matter how difficult it is, you are the guide. Then I make a deal, for example, with one student I gave her a list of nouns and verbs and asked her to memorize each of the words, so at the moment of facing this vocab, the student could understand what we are talking about. And during class activities I always try to make students participate and let them know that making mistakes is part of learning. So I believe that If students feel that the teacher is going to be the guide during the process, and that you will recognize their advance, they are going to feel self-confident enough to keep on walking.
It �s a little bit of extra work, but if you are really interested you �ll feel the great satisfaction when the student starts progessing.

15 Apr 2013     

Irnalonso
Spain

I have exactly the same problem. One of my students has lots of difficulties to follow the class. There are some techniques, but they are always founded in the same idea: repetition, repetition, repetition. That means patience!
I revise the grammar and the basic vocabulary quite often. It �s useful for all the class. Also, I have found that linking a word with a gesture can help them to remember. Also, sometimes I make them think about how they say the same ideas in Spanish (i.e. comparatives). 
I �ve just found this web site and I �m delighted with the possibilities!
Good luck! 

15 Apr 2013