Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any ideas for a song to teach past continuous??? :o)     

Any ideas for a song to teach past continuous??? :o)

soleole
Uruguay

Any ideas for a song to teach past continuous??? :o)

Hello talented teachers!
I am a bit stuck thinking of a song I can use to reinforce past continuous to a class of lower intermediate 15 yo boys.
I have already thought of songs for my other 10 classes, but I�m totally stuck with this one!
There are quite a few nice ws on the site about songs with past cont. but none of the songs really suit 15 yo BOYS. And I cannot for the life of me think of a song with lots of past continuous in it, I�ve even gone through my iPod looking for one. Nada.
Does anyone have any enlightening thoughts??? they will be much appreciated!
THANKS in advance!!!
You guys are great!! :o)
Sol

26 Jan 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Why not make up one of your own? It�s very easy to make it rhyme. You could start with some Qs, then give negative answers to the Qs and say what the person/people in the song were actually doing. Or you could leave it up to the students to write the actions themselves. You could give them the endings which would rhyme.
Then, get a hip hop rhythm on a CD, bring some sunglasses, caps and chains to class and tell the boys it�s RAP time!
I suggest that you record it with a video camera so they can see themselves afterwards and have a good laugh.

P.S. You could start with "When the lights went out ... " and they could come up with some funny ideas (kissing, pillow fighting, shampooing hair, etc.)
P.P.S. If you�re dealing with shy boys, you yourself dress as a hip-hopper :).

26 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Could you ask them who their favourite bands/artists are, then you can look them up and their albums etc online. Then you could look at the lyrics from songs from a particular artist or group from one of the many lyric sites to check if the lyrics are 1. appropriate and 2. what you need :-) That could be the simplist answer, so you get music that your students can relate to and like also!

26 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

It�s nice when the SS sing their fave songs in class and fill in the blanks, etc, but wouldn�t you want to inspire them to be creative themselves and make up their own songs? A little bit harder, but worthwhile. Been there, done that. Smile Also, it�s more memorable. As Benjamin Franklin put it:
"Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn."

26 Jan 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Try these sites which may help.

26 Jan 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

I finally did find a song for the listening! i read the answers later but they all sounds good (though the asking their favourite band thing I had already done and the groups were not so adequate! re: no comprehensible lyrics) but the idea about them creating their own song sounds cool! I will try it and let you know how it went!

Thanks to aftab57 for the links, already knew one but the others are good! :O)

thanks to all 3 for your help and suggestions.

27 Jan 2009     

Tata_Teacher
Brazil

There are some song suggestions with the grammar topic you need and many others in one of my worksheets:

15 Jun 2009