Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How can i explain this ???    

How can i explain this ???

A.jorayed
Saudi Arabia

How can i explain this ???

HOW can i clearly explain the difference between 

( in - on - at ) using the time period 

in the morning ....etc  

on Sunday....etc

at { can you explain when to use with example )  

at night <<<< why????

15 Apr 2013      

maryse pey�
France

IN the morning. Morning is a determined period with a "volume" of few hours. A kind of "box" you can put your action IN.

ON Sunday. Sunday is a day in your agenda, a page and you can note down ON this page.

AT night. At a very precise moment of the night.

At least this is how I explain my students these notions. It is helpful if you can link abstract notions with concrete elements.

15 Apr 2013     

Irnalonso
Spain

You can draw a clock using three concentric circles. The smaller is the circle, the smaller is the time period. 
The hours are in the first circle, the smaller one, as well as all the parts of the day (at dawn, at night, at breakfast, at dusk...) with three exceptions: morning, afternoon y evening. In my opinion is easier to remember morning, afternoon and evening as excepcion than the opposite way. 
In the second circle, ON, I draw the days of the week. The dates and the "special days" like birthday dates are also in this circle. 
In the third circle, the largest (weeks, years), I divide them in months and seasons.

There is another exception: Holidays go with (at: Easter, Christmas, weekend).

I hope this way may be useful for your classes. Maryse Pey� �s method also looks very practical. 

15 Apr 2013     

dany.Tunisia 123
Tunisia

hi, in fact there are rules for the use of in/on/at
at+time (ex at 9 o �clock)
in+ part of a day (ex in the morning) but there are exceptions at night/ at noon
on+ day (ex on Monday) 
in fact, you can give examples to pupils then they can deduce the rule by themselves
have a nice day 

16 Apr 2013