Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEED SUGGESTIONS TO CONDUCT AN ACTIVITY    

NEED SUGGESTIONS TO CONDUCT AN ACTIVITY

deepti sachdeva
India

NEED SUGGESTIONS TO CONDUCT AN ACTIVITY

In the coming week i have to organise an Inter Class Competition on the topic �Formal Letter Writing Competition. � I want to implement it in an innovative way so that children will be motivated to participate and give their best. 

I hav planned to divide my class in groups and give them a topic before hand. It will be letter to the Principal. So i wil ask them to use a pastel sheet to write a letter and they will make an envelop and will put the letter in that and will drop outside Principal �s office.

Your ideas and suggestions are welcomed to make this competition a hit. 

Waiting for quick responses.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Deepti

16 Apr 2013      

mvblair
United States

Competitions are always motivating by themselves. Do you have a nice prize, such as a good book or an art set? I always think having several prizes is important for competitions.

To give your students extra motivation, I think it is helpful to say things like, "I know I �m the teacher, but I am really excited about this project" or "I am really looking forward to seeing what you guys can do!" If I am enthusiastic, I find that my students become enthusiastic, too.

Good luck! Be sure to share the winning letter with us!

Matt

16 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Would your principal be willing to help with this, since the letters are being written to him or her? If so, a possible prize/prize supplement might be that the winner or winners gets a congratulatory letter from the principal. A letter in response is the natural reward for a letter, after all. You could even type the letter or letters yourself and just get the principal �s signature if the principal is too busy. Many parents love to see their children receive official praise.

Matt �s idea of other prizes is good, also, especially for a school-wide competition. I just thought I �d suggest something that �s very cheap but still motivating if money is tight (as it is in so many schools here in the USA).

16 Apr 2013     

deepti sachdeva
India

Thanks a zillion Matt and Moody. Smile

16 Apr 2013     

mvblair
United States

A letter is a great idea! So is a certificate. Kids love that kind of stuff! --Matt

16 Apr 2013     

Joaska
Poland

Hi! If the head is involved or willing to take an active role in the competition, you can ask the students to write a formal letter to the principal in which they will outline one thing they want to change/ improve in their school. The letters could be �sent off � to the head who will actually response/carry out a discussion with the winner and other students and, if possible, will make the winning idea come true! Good luck!

16 Apr 2013