Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eng789
Israel

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made the mistake about not double checking the materials I downloaded .  Havng seen that a paticular ws was downloaded a zillion times  I assumed that the quality was good and needed something quick so I had it photo-copied  for my pupils..    BIG MISTAKE   BIG MISTAKE    BIG MISTAKE    BIG MISTAKE   BIG MISTAKE
You can imagine how embarrassed I was when silly mistakes were pointed out to me.  (English is my mother tongue)  There was no excuse for it.

Everyone makes some mistakes (including me)  but we should strive for better quality work. 
Just because someone has a zillion points it doesn�t mean that their work is 100% perfect.

There are so many wonderful ideas floating around the site but the proof-reading is a lot of work.

P.S.  I�m not accusing or pointing the finger at anyone and I certainly don�t want to hurt anyones feelings.  I appreciate everything I do and believe me there are tons of wss that are worth the time it takes to proof-read. 

26 Jan 2009      

alien boy
Japan

You said it eng789! Proof reading is an essential part of using ANY worksheet!

I know what it�s like when silly errors crop up... (something my brothers have accused me of being for many years...)

26 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thank g-d for alien boy.  He can always make me smile.

Can we start being nice to eachother?  I have to take enough b--llsh-t all day at school.

Nobody really cares if someone wants to leave the forum,  so stop pouting - nobody is going to beg you to stay.  If you noticed there are  more that 125,000 members.  You�re just a drop in the bucket.

If you really want to give up being a part of this "loony bin" and miss out on the occassional intellectual discussion

about teaching English ( which I thought was the main reason for the forum and not all the hugs, hugs, kiss, kiss,

stuff)  -  just because someone didn�t say what you wanted to hear,  then drop out it�s a free world.

I am cranky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Haven�t you ever wanted to say this? I know I have...

26 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

I have parent/ teachers meetings tomorrow and there are 5 boys I�d to give a "pain in the ass to"  if you get my drift.

If I made any spelling mistakes it�s because I can�t stop laughing.

26 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Maybe the worksheets deliberately have those spelling mistakes so they get the quality of being Spot the errors exercises - two in one! :) You could always use that as an excuse, couldn�t you? :)

Ernest Boyer:
"A poor surgeon hurts 1 person at a time. A poor teacher hurts 130."

26 Jan 2009     

eaglestar
Philippines

You�re right eng789. I made that same mistake too with a worksheet and had it mimeographed right away without bothering to doublecheck because, you know, I was confident it was okay as so many people downloaded it already.

Oh well, it was a lesson learned. Was embarrassed when my students pointed out the errors to me... and I had to make the corrections on the board. I thought I was really silly for not checking it out first before giving out to the kids. And I thought I was a perfectionist and always meticulous about things, then it just slipped out of my sight. Hehehe. Thanks

Stella

26 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hey, it only happens once though. he he I downloaded dominoes that the kids had to cut out in class and play in pairs.... and they did not match. Very embarrassing. It won�t happen again though that I don�t check it first. We live and learn.... even teachers. HAve a nice day... Yeti xx

26 Jan 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, eng789
Israel

That a very important thing you�re pointing.
Though, I don�t really catch your aim.
Anyway!
If you are blaming yourself not having checked the WS you downloaded and used in your class while it contained mistakes, that I can understand very well. We all got trapped one day or another. I happens even with official textbooks and not only WS downloaded from the net. WS made by teachers as you and me, who are trying to do their best to make something as good (not perfect) as possible. Yet, as you say we all make mistakes.
However, if you are blaming the one whose WS you downloaded, i think you are a little sever with him/her. Maybe he/she is a new teacher. But even old teachers can get trapped. Especially when using computers. You know that silly thing we call "COPY/PASTE". When we prepare a WS we all use this method. Copy a sentence from here, a word from there, a line from that paragraph, a picture from that doc, and then paste the one here no here it is better. Ok why not at the top ...
Finally, either we get mixed or we very often forget to correct what we left for correction after a while.
As the Frenchies say so perfectly: "It could happen to the smatest"

Take it easy, and don�t forget to check what you are going to use in class before hand. Especially from those you think are confident. Because such things happen to us when we feel confident.

Regards.

PS;
For the one you say wanting to leave the forum, are you p�inting sb in particular or is it just a thought? Cause I don�t see what does this post have to do with what your original one.

26 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Parent teacher meeting? Gosh - I�m lucky teaching adults on that one. I can "talk" to the "victim" straight away... LOL

26 Jan 2009