Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > holidays and tourism    

holidays and tourism

RENZO
Peru

holidays and tourism

Hello dear friends

I was looking for the definition of these words: What are the differences between them? or are they synonyms? They are confusing words. I am teaching holdays and tourism.

Trip:a short journey somewhere    for a purpose, business or pleasure.
   ♦ During our holiday, we took a boat trip to the islands.

Excursion: A short journey made for pleasure. a short trip or outing to some place, usually for a special purpose and with the intention of a prompt return
Please you have other explanation for trip and excursion to explain to my students. simple explanation please. surfing on the internet I �ve found tones of information but  I am not satisfied with the information.
+ + +
I was looking the meaning of these words.
Who travels more frequently, a holidaymaker or a business person? Which is the correct answer and why?

A holidaymaker: Someone  who goes on vacation. someone who travels for pleasure.a holidaymaker=tourist=traveller
a business person: a person who makes besiness
Please, you have other explanation for a holidaymaker and a business person
+ + +
Is a business traveller more likely to use a scheduled or charter flight?

a scheduled flight:  travelling at the same time each day or each week

Please, maybe you have other explanations for these words, diferences between charter flight and scheduled flight. Clear explanations for my students.

thanks in advance for your help. Take care and God bless you.

20 Apr 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Trip is a much more general word than excursion. Excursion, at least to me, implies a short trip, usually organized by someone else, for a specific purpose.
Examples: I took a trip to Arizona last year. It lasted 10 day. We hope to take a trip to Cozumel next year. My husband wants to take an excursion to the Mayan ruins nearby.

Pleasure means that the trip or journey is for pure enjoyment, not for business.

We don �t use the word "holidaymaker" in the USA. If you �re teaching American English, use "tourist" or "vacationer" instead. I will let speakers from other countries speak for themselves. A business person is someone who owns, or works in a company in sales, marketing, or accounting, for example.

As for charter flights versus scheduled flights, it depends on the business �s priority. A charter flight will be more expensive but much more private and probably faster. A scheduled flight on an alrline is going to be cheaper (even in first class), but won �t be as fast, as private, or as convenient. My impression is that the scheduled flights are also safer. Chartered planes are also usually smaller than commercial airliners (except the "puddlejumpers" used for connecting flights). Usually only top-level business people from large companies would go on a charter flight.

I hope this helps.

20 Apr 2013     

RENZO
Peru

Dear MoodyMoody

Thanks a million for your help, you are so nice. we don �t know each other but you are so generous. Take care and GOD bless you.  I wish you the best.

Charo from Lima, Peru

20 Apr 2013