Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CORRECTION PLEASE    

CORRECTION PLEASE

MARIOUMA
Tunisia

CORRECTION PLEASE

#Language #(12 marks)

1 Put the bracketed words in the right tense / form: (4 mks)

Dear  Mrs.Adams ,

I would like to apply for the post of secretary ; it (advertise ) �������..in yesterday�s newspaper. I ( to be )��������� ;27 years old and I ( to educate) ����������at the Star Secretarial College in Manchester where I ( to obtain ) �����������.my secretarial diploma four years ago.

At present, I work as the ( person )������..Secretary to the Managing of Millways Toys Ltd. I ( to do )���������this job for 2 years. However, I am not  pleased with the pays o I get. That is the reason why I have decided ( to apply ) �������..for the position of secretary at your office. If my (to apply)����������is considered favourably, I will be available for interview at any time that is convenient to you. I looked forward to ( to receive)�����..a favourable reply.

Yours faithfully   

Janet  Smith

2  Circle the right alternative (4mks)

Some years ago, after my accident leaving me legally blind , I knew I no longer could keep  my profession as an accountant. This fact did not prevent me from wanting to be a                       ( produce/ producing / productive ) individual. But after much research and many inquiries , I discovered that ( entering / sitting for / learning ) college at my age seemed impossible , especially with my ( disable / disabled/disability ) . Learning this did not stop me ; it only made me more ( deciding / determined/ contributing ) to return to college. At first , everybody patronized me , gave me their sympathy , and even laughed                                                             ( because /because of / thanks to ) my desire to return to school . I did not give up nor did I let th ( disappointments / abnormalities / impairments) keep me from trying to get entry. At last the head of the enrollment  department gave in and told me that If I could                                   ( pass / to pass / passed) the SAT tests with at least a C to C+ that I may enter college and take two classes  at a time. My first step was to attend the school for the                                                                   ( deaf / handicapped / blind) and learn how to read and write in Braille.

3 Fill in the blanks with 8 words from the list below: (4mks)

regularly� violence - trying � rehabilitation � greatest �troubled� than � test � seek -surprising

Many parents worry about whether their son or daughter is taking illegal drugs , how they can tell, and what to do about it . We live in a drug �taking society. While there is a lot of concern about illegal drugs which is sensationalized in the  media , the most harm  and ������.risk to young people comes from using legal drugs such as alcohol , cigarettes and medicines. More young people are involved in������., are hospitalized or die from alcohol- related causes������. from the use of illegal drugs  . Many parents wonder why young people would even think of  ������. drugs. Part of growing up is to experiment with new things and ��������. limits so it is not �������.that some young people try illegal drugs as well as those which are legal . Many young people however don�t experiment  with drugs at all. Fortunately , out of those who do try drugs, many will not go on using drugs �������, and only a few will develop serious problems. Sometimes we think that only ������. young people use drugs. However , of the young people who are having problems in their lives , only a small number turn to drugs.

20 Apr 2013      

Apodo
Australia

#Language #(12 marks)

1 Put the bracketed words in the right tense / form: (4 mks)

Dear  Mrs.Adams ,

I would like to apply for the post of secretary ; it (advertise ) �was advertised������..in yesterday�s newspaper. I ( to be )��am������� ;27 years old and I ( to educate) �was educated���������at the Star Secretarial College in Manchester where I ( to obtain ) ���obtained��������.my secretarial diploma four years ago.

At present, I work as the ( person )�personal�����..Secretary to the Managing Director of Millways Toys Ltd. I ( to do )�have been doing��������this job for 2 years. However, I am not  pleased with the pay s o I get. That is the reason why I have decided ( to apply ) �� to apply �����..for the position of secretary at your office. If my (to apply)��application��������is considered favourably, I will be available for interview at any time that is convenient to you. I looked forward to ( to receive)�receiving����..a favourable reply.

That is the reason or That is why                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Yours faithfully   

Janet  Smith

2  Circle the right alternative (4mks)

Some years ago, after an accident left me legally blind , I knew I no longer could keep  my profession as an accountant. This fact did not prevent me from wanting to be a                       ( produce/ producing / productive ) individual. But after much research and many inquiries , I discovered that ( entering / sitting for / learning ) college at my age seemed impossible , especially with my ( disable / disabled/disability ) . Learning this did not stop me ; it only made me more ( deciding / determined/ contributing ) to return to college. At first , everybody patronized me , gave me their sympathy , and even laughed                                                            ( because /because of / thanks to / at ) my desire to return to school . I did not give up nor did I let the ( disappointment /disappointments / abnormalities / impairments) keep me from trying to get entry. At last the head of the enrollment  department gave in and told me that If I could                                   ( pass / to pass / passed) the SAT tests with at least a C to C+ that I may enter college and take two classes  at a time. My first step was to attend the school for the                                                                   ( deaf / handicapped / blind) and learn how to read and write in Braille.

3 Fill in the blanks with 8 words from the list below: (4mks)

regularly� violence - trying � rehabilitation � greatest �troubled� than - test � seek -surprising

Many parents worry about whether their son or daughter is taking illegal drugs , how they can tell, and what to do about it . We live in a drug �taking society. While there is a lot of concern about illegal drugs which is sensationalized in the  media , the most harm  and �� greatest �����.risk to young people comes from using legal drugs such as alcohol , cigarettes and medicines. More young people are involved in�� violence ����., are hospitalized or die from alcohol- related causes�� than �����. from the use of illegal drugs  . Many parents wonder why young people would even think of  �- trying �����. drugs. Part of growing up is to experiment with new things and �� test ������. limits so it is not �� surprising �����.that some young people try illegal drugs as well as those which are legal . Many young people however don�t experiment  with drugs at all. Fortunately , out of those who do try drugs, many will not go on using drugs �� regularly �����, and only a few will develop serious problems. Sometimes we think that only � troubled �����. young people use drugs. However , of the young people who are having problems in their lives , only a small number turn to drugs.

20 Apr 2013     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Mariouma,
are these your homeworks? This is the 2nd time you asked us to correct some text which is really strange.

21 Apr 2013     

isa2
Austria

@ MJ Misa
I strongly agree with you. It seems that this member is either not a teacher or if he/she is a teacher, it is highly questionable that he/she has so many unsolved problems.
IMHO the forum should be reserved to specific problems, and not serve as private tuition.

21 Apr 2013     

Missbrittany
France

What does it mean: "correction please?"
Can �t you express what you �d like us to do in a complete sentence? I think Apodo was really kind to provide all the answers for you. I wouldn�t have, not when it�s asked this way.

21 Apr 2013     

sarguero
Spain

21 Apr 2013