Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How would you define "tradition"?    

How would you define "tradition"?

hheyitsme
Tunisia

How would you define "tradition"?

Hi folks,

I was recently asked to define tradition using simple words... Honestly, I was stuck as all the words I remembered were unknown to my students... and checking their understanding was out of question as long as I failed to explain the word...

How would you proceed if you were me?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, Sondes

23 Apr 2013      

manonski (f)
Canada

Instead of trying to come up with a definition, why don �t you give examples of things you do that are traditionnal?

23 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

an example of tradition-- those things you do on holidays (like Christmas) for example that makes you think your family or town members that came before you because they used to do them too.

or

Doing things the "old" way so people and things from the past are not forgotten and so that you feel closer to them or can identify with them.

23 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I like to look at the etymology of words. Tradere is Latin and it means to hand down, so traditions are things which have been done by past generations and passed on. (I haven �t checked any of this.)

23 Apr 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

And tradition and treason are doublets (etymological twins; add traitor and you�d have etymological triplets).

23 Apr 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

Anything which has relation with the past.for instance  in Morocco  celebrating  a wedding in a certain way is tradition.

23 Apr 2013     

libertybelle
United States

Some sort of ritual that goes from generation to generation.
For example:

It is a tradition in our family to light candles in the window on the 4th of May.

23 Apr 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

The transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way. - Pinched from the internet.

23 Apr 2013