Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which alternative is correct?    

Which alternative is correct?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Which alternative is correct?

Hi colleagues! I am a bit confused, would you please help me to choose the right alternative and give me justification or explanation?
1- Professor Laurie Challis said children were not "little adults" and that they should not be given mobiles until they were at least 12. (since /even /despite) then  teenager should use their phones to send text messages rather than talk.

2- He acknowledged that some parents may get peace of mind by giving their young child a mobile phone. But he added:"I don �t see why with young children one (shouldn �t / may not/ needn �t) be  a little bit more firm as a parent, (if/ unless / providing) there are specific reasons why it needs to be done.
Thank you so much Smile

27 Apr 2013      

etoilist
Tunisia

even
shouldn �t
unless

28 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

etoilist is right, but I think the first one should read, �.....until they were at least 12. Even then teenagers shouldn �t ....

28 Apr 2013     

etoilist
Tunisia

cunliffe ... I don �t think it makes sense to say � Even then teenagers shouldn �t ... � It has to be �should � because you have �rather than talk � in the sentence.

28 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

....So Professor Challis thinks that teenagers should be texting rather than talking?

28 Apr 2013     

mouna gueni
Tunisia

cuniffe ........i like your comment !WinkThumbs Up

28 Apr 2013     

wissa
Tunisia

1.even then teenager.... it means that even when they are allowed to have mobile phone they should use  it for texting
2. unless + affirmative vern
beacuse with if we use negative verb
and after providing we don �t need : subject + verb

28 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh, I get it. They should only use their phones for texting, rather than ringing people up/ having conversations on them. 

28 Apr 2013     

sa3ida
Tunisia

Hi Nizar,

The article is taken from the "daily mail".You can find the answers in the following link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1268017/Mobile-phone-debate-reignited-MTHR-launches-30-year-study-health-risks.html

28 Apr 2013