Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Verb «Have Got»    

Verb «Have Got»

sgranja
Portugal

Verb «Have Got»

HELP!

Which is the right form?

I haven�t got
or
I don�t have

26 Jan 2009      

denizt
Turkey

No difference as far as I know... but second one is Simple Present Tense whereas the first one is the possession "have got"..
Hope it helps

26 Jan 2009     

macomabi
Portugal

Both are right.
Best regards.

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

"I haven�t got" a clue what the rule book says because "I don�t have"  my rule book with me, but both sound right.

Douglas

26 Jan 2009     

LA LUNA
Mexico

Both of them are correct as far as I know British people use HAVE GOT and American people the second one. But both r just correct

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Actually, we use "have got" in the US as well i.e.: "Have you got a light?", just not as often as in the UK

26 Jan 2009     

sgranja
Portugal

But
I say: I don�t have lunch in the canteen.

I Don�t say: I haven�t lunch in the school canteen.

How can you explain that?

26 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

To `have lunch` means `eat lunch` so the usage of have is different there. As another example to `have a party` means to put on a party. We don`t own the party :) Does that make sense? or`have a meeting`. or `have a shower` they are all actions not ownership.

26 Jan 2009     

nadine85
Argentina

Denizt explained it to you.
"Have got" for possession! You cannot say "I haven�t lunch in the school canteen". In that case, you can only use "don�t have"!

Good luck! Wink

26 Jan 2009     

Juju
Portugal

I haven�t got - It�s the negative form of the verb "TO HAVE GOT" that doesn�t need an auxiliary to form the negative and the interrogative forms.

I have got a blue car/ I haven�t got a blue car/ Have I got a blue car?

I don�t have - it�s the negative form of the verb "TO HAVE". This verb needs an auxiliary to do the negative and interrogative.

I have a red car. / I don�t have a red car./ Do I have a red car?

You can always check your doubts on this wonderful site: http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-grammar-have-v-have-got.htm

Best regards

26 Jan 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Ok, here I go....
I love this kind of " conversation"
Some of you have referred that "haven�t got " is the negative of the verb " have got".
In my opinion this is not correct.

"haven�t got "  is the negative of the verb GET, in the present perfect.
That�s why... and now talking to SGRANJA ( one of my Portuguese fellows )

I say: I don�t have lunch in the canteen.

I Don�t say: I haven�t lunch in the school canteen.

How can you explain that?

your second sentence is not correct. - (
I haven�t lunch in the school canteen. )
The verb To have needs an auxiliary to build negat and interrog.
You say I have = I don�t have

When you say I have got you are using the main verb GET and not the verb Have; so this is a present Perfect of get, you already have an auxiliary  ( have ) you make negatives and Interrog with it.
Like this

I have a car. I don�t have a car

I have got a car. I haven�t got a car.

Meanwhile, as reported before, some people consider that using "have got " is more British, while using " have " is more American.
Have got also has a deep meaning of something you got, you made some effort to achieve,  while using "have" alone means you have something frequently or some now and then, but you didn�t take any part in getting it.

Let me tell you one thing, trying to clarify my last paragraph.
Some time ago, some of my students wrote some "brilliant" essays and they wrote things like these: I have got brown eyes, I have got curly hair, I have got a nice .... "
An American teacher called my attention and said that " They haven�t got, they simply HAVE... because they didn�t get those things, they were born with brown or blue eyes, but they haven�t got them.
Ok, now here I am, you can crucify me
Hugs, and let me know what you think

27 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >