Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Water legends    

Water legends

S�lvia73
Portugal

Water legends

Hi everyone! I really need your help!

Next month I�ll have to teach some classes on legends related to water, but only from English-speaking countries. I really have no idea where to start looking! The only one whcih comes to my mind is Loch Ness (of course!!!), but I�m sure there must be lots of them...

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance!

26 Jan 2009      

anaisabel001
Spain

I sent one  worksheet called THE MOTHER OF WATER based on a Brazilian tale.I uploaded on 24  January 2009. You might find it useful.Smile

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

1) How about the legend of the sword Excalibur and the lady of the lake.

2) There is an old American Indian legend (or proverb?) that there is no way over water to the happy hunting grounds 

3) Some info about an old American Indian legend about Morro Rock in Morro Bay, California can be found at this site: http://morro-bay.com/morsels/dillon/

Sorry, can�t think of any more at the moment.

Douglas

26 Jan 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I sent one  worksheet called THE MOTHER OF WATER based on a Brazilian tale.I uploaded on 24  January 2009. You might find it useful.Smile

I�m sorry , you are looking for legends from English-speaking countries and Brazil isn�t one of them. I�m a bit sleepy. Sorry againEmbarrassed

26 Jan 2009     

macomabi
Portugal

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/water.html#WaterDemons

Try this one

26 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

In Japan they have �kappa� - very entertaining water spirits. The film �Spirited Away� haw a river spirit/dragon as one of its heroes.

In Australia we have bunyips (amongst other things).

Good luck!

26 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

What about the Loch Ness Monster Legend?

Sorry, you have already mentioned it.

Look at what I got. I may help your seach:

26 Jan 2009     

S�lvia73
Portugal

Thanks a lot to all of you! Hug

Thanks to your suggestions, I�m starting to organize my ideas!

Hugs from Portugal!!!

26 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

In Canada we have the Ogopogo, the Loch Ness monster`s Canadian cousin. Here is one site.

Also you may want to look at the fountain of Youth in Florida!

Mic Mac Indians have Water Fairies Legend

Maybe the best one is Selkies: Seals that can take off their skin and become humans. There is even a lovely movie about a selkie who becomes human.

Hope these are helpful

26 Jan 2009     

paddyofarrell
Ireland

The Children of Lir - an old Irish legend

27 Jan 2009     

Lulu La la
Thailand

Moby Dick form the Uk me thinks.  What about free Willy?   Jaws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Forgot about that one.  Crocodile Dundee, Australian, the water babies, a book I read when I was a child,  lost city of Atlantis maybe and that�s about all I can think of right now.

27 Jan 2009