Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Because I had a bath!    

Because I had a bath!

lofthanzaa
Germany

Because I had a bath!

" Why didn �t you answer the telephone?"
" Because I had a bath"

The response in this sentence is wrong
The correct response is " Because I was having a bath"

Now my question is

Why is the first response wrong? 
Can anyone give a grammatical analysis for this case?

Thanks a lot!!

8 May 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

i would say because "having a bath" is the time frame when "the telephone rang" happened... this action is longer and started before and stopped after the telephone rang...

8 May 2013     

pablito88
Spain

When one action is interrupted by another action then you have to use the past continuous - was + verb + ing. You didn �t answer the telephone because you were having a bath, that is you were in the bath when the telephone rang (the action was taking place). If you said I had a bath, then it means that when the phone rang you had finished the bath (and therefore could have answered the phone). 

8 May 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

The first response is wrong simply because having a bath is a background action, ie an action that started before the action of not answering the telephone and continued happening even after, so we can �t use the past simple form for this action ; we use the past continuous instead. "Why didn �t you answer the telephone" is correct because this action didn �t start happening at the same time and continued happening sumiltaniously with the background action. It was a  brief action that happened in the middle of the background action , so we must use the past simple tense to describe it. Hope MY MODEST grammatical analysis is clear and not confusing.

8 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

It also just simply doesn �t answer the question. If the question were "Why is your hair wet?" "Because I had a bath" would then answer the question. It �s like replying to "Why didn �t you answer the phone?" with "Because my socks are green." It may be true, but it �s not an answer to the question.

8 May 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

to add a little grammar to dutchboy �s excellent point, the past simple "had" indicated that you had and finished a bath, maybe hours or days before the phone rang...therefore it really doesn �t explain why you didn �t answer the phone:)
"Because I was in the bath (tub)" would work........ 

9 May 2013     

dillydi
United Kingdom

At the time when the telephone rang you were in the bath, therefore, �having � is the present tense.  The use of �had � is past tense and therefore, means that at the time when the telephone rang your bath would have been over.

The sentence that would make more sense would �I was in the bath when you telephoned me �.

Hope that helps....

9 May 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Excellent explanations, everyone!
May I just add my two cents:)? 
You were in the process of having a bath when the telephone rang.
Now, if it wasn �t a QA but a statement and you �d have to use the verbs in the correct form, I bet you wouldn �t hesitate to use the continuous (remember? it means duration) here:
I .... (have) a bath when you .... (ring)
PLUS you�d be really angry if you had to pick it up, wouldn�t you?

Sophia:)

9 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Now, if the reason for not answering was that the telephone was covered in mud, and you didn �t want to soil your just-washed hands, "because I had a bath" would almost work. Unfortunately, it �s only almost, because the correct reply would be "Because I had had a bath".

Bruce Wink

9 May 2013