Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I congratulate you on your birthday...    

I congratulate you on your birthday...

*Maria*
Russian Federation

I congratulate you on your birthday...

Dear collegues!

Recently I �ve heard from an IELTS examiner that we cannot say "I congratulate you on your birthday" because it �s not a person �s achievement. Seems a bit strange... Is it true that the word "congratulate" can be used only when talking about achievements? 

10 May 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. Of course it �s an achievement. And as you get older it �s more of an achievement every day. Every time I get out of bed it�s an achievement. Ed

10 May 2013     

Zora
Canada

Geez... some examiners are *ahem* at times... while the saying is not really used, it is not wrong and I wouldn �t think it strange to hear somebody using it - especially, if you hit a �milestone � birthday like 18, 30, 40, etc.

In fact, some birthday cards state �Congratulations on your special day � - maybe find one and give it to her/him! Wink

10 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

It isn �t the custom here, but it definitely isn �t wrong.

Bruce

10 May 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

So, is it just "Happy birthday"?

10 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I hope you have a great birthday/ here �s wishing you a happy birthday/congratulations on your birthday; fine. I congratulate you on your birthday, a bit less so. Not wrong, as the others have said, but not a natural utterance.  

You can of course, just say �happy birthday �.

10 May 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Thank you so much!

10 May 2013