Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Absolute Beginners    

Absolute Beginners

rafed
Syria

Absolute Beginners

Hi for all. I am about to start teaching an English course for Absolute Beginners adults. I do not know hot to start with them. Please I need your help.....

10 May 2013      

yuyujo
Colombia

It is very important that you teach them to introduce themselves. That �s the first thing they need to know. After that, they need a lot of vocabulary. Start with objects that are very important for the class, such as school supplies, simple sentences such as: How do you say"  " this?" and don �t overwhelm  them with many grammatical issues at the very beginning.
Also, you can use their mother tongue if possible in order for them to start understanding. Of course you should speak in English most of the time but make sure they don �t give up. Use as much as you can, your body language to help them get relevant ideas. But the key is to provide and teach enough vocabulary.
For more info, look for a book about methodology. It will help you a lot. A very good author is Jeremy Harmer.

10 May 2013     

Iciar
Spain

I agree with yuyujo in the silabus, but the only thing is that I would not use their mother tongue at all. It is essential that they don�t translate at all to learn the language as a "second first language" + it will be very hard for them at the beginning, but they (and you) will be surprised of how quick they learn.
I usually start with greetings including nationality, numbers, colours and the alphabet to spell words soon. Then, maybe you can do likes and dislikes and basic order such as open the window, sit down, touch the table, take your worksheet out, etc
About the grammar I agree that it isn�t so necessary at the beginning. 

10 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree... the most important thing is vocab, vocab, vocab. Followed by simple phrases you use every day.

NO electronic dictionaries! They are quick and easy and very useful when out and about in the community and you NEED them. (Such as when you are in Japan and only speak a bit of Japanese and you NEED to find a toilet asap!) In class, electronic dictionaries don �t promote retention of information in my experience. That being said, if you do decide to allow them, after the first week, they put them away. The best thing is immersion in English, and practice outside the classroom. It �s always great when you can pair up two students, who speak different languages and they become friends. When they hang out after class, they NEED to speak English to communicate. Brilliant! These students ALWAYS do much better then the others who only hang out with their friends who speak the same mother tongue.

10 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I �m just thinking now of my first ESL class and my first day and I �m chuckling. I thought i �d share this great old British comedy called "Mind Your Language". It �s about an ESL class. Good fun... if a bit outdated in political correctness. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/rjeW0u06Fo0http://youtu.be/rjeW0u06Fo0

10 May 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The best teaching I ever did is with my adult students. Never had so much respect and gratefulness. So, go for it! Like the others (answers above), I start with the greetings. Next I do the �wh � words, i.e. what �s your name, where are you from, how old are you etc. The key is, in my view, to pronounce the words slowly at first, then speed up to normal speech. It �s confusing at first, but it also makes them laugh. So learning is fun, instead of a struggle! And I make them repeat, repeat, repeat and repeat again. They tend to give short one-word answers, so I have them repeat the question with each others. As such they speak as much as I do from day one. I combine this with the word families (I �m not supposed to advertise, but check out my contributions). The next (simultaneous) step is of course the verbs to be, to have and to do. Followed rather quick by the pronouns and nouns. Well, before I give you my complete course plan, I can assure you that after three months my ss speak basic English! I only speak English, but use dictionaries for one-word explanations. My efforts to learn Persian, Arabic and Afghani (and to keep them apart!) are a stimulant for my ss, as many are illiterate in their own language as well. My mistakes teaches them that mistakes are nothing but learning opportunities. Make sure it �s all good fun, and you won �t have regrets. Cheers, Peter

11 May 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi rafed

This comes from a private academy syllabus I found on the internet a while ago.  Maybe it is useful. If you�d like  a copy of the entire syllabus for all levels, PM with your e-mail address me and I�ll e-mail it to you.

Cheers

Jayho

Language - Learn how to use:

- the alphabet

- to be

- there is / there are

- have go t

- the present simple tense for things that are always true

- the present continuous tense for things that are happening around no w

- imperative verbs

- common past simple verbs

- basic question forms and short answers