Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Anything but Nostalgic"    

"Anything but Nostalgic"

douglas
United States

"Anything but Nostalgic"

Hi All,

Even as a native speaker, I am having a problem trying to understand the true meaning of "anything but nostalgic".    I am working on an article on North Korea �s Kim Jong-un with my advanced group.  The text says:

"U.S, officials insist they are anything but nostalgic for Kim Jong-il."
         (Kim Jong-il was Kim Jong-un �s predecessor)

Does this mean that they miss him/wish he was back in office or that they prefer Kim Jong-un or that the don �t really miss Kim Jong-il, but it could be that we would be better off if he was in office?

Cheers,
Douglas

16 May 2013      

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi Douglas,
In my humble opinion I think that it means that they don �t miss King-Jong-il at all.

Definition of anything but from the Cambridge Advanced Learner �s Dictionary & Thesaurus

� used to mean the opposite of the stated quality: She �s meant to be really nice but she was anything but nice when I met her.
Have a nice day!
Ana Isabel

16 May 2013     

douglas
United States

thanks Ana, I agree with "anything but" meaning not (the opposite) I guess my problem lies in what the opposite of "nostalgic" is in this context.

16 May 2013     

alex1968
Greece

It means they don �t want him back

If you �re nostalgic for sth, it means you miss it and want it back...

I �m nostalgic for my old pay check!!! (True story!!! We �ve had so many cut backs...Unhappy)

So, anything but nostalgic for means they definitely don �t miss/long for him or want him back

16 May 2013     

douglas
United States

I am beginning to see it that way too Alex, it just seems contradictory to the message of the article

In the text, they are speaking about how his son is undesirable because of his unpredictablilty, but they are "anything but nostaglic" for Kim Jong-il.

This discussion is helping, thank you.

Douglas

16 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Douglas,
Maybe they �re saying that things are bad now, but they wouldn �t want to go ack to Kim Jong-il, either.

Bruce

16 May 2013     

anaram
Spain

I got curious and traced the article. I suppose you�re referring to this paragraph: 

U.S. officials insist they are anything but nostalgic for Kim Jong-il, who was seen by Washington as dangerous though at least predictable.

So, I think Bruce is right but I find the phrasing a bit strange. It may be because actually there are two voices coming too close: the U.S. officials� statement (we do not miss Kim Jong-il at all) and the writer�s explanation (but at least he was considered predictable). In a way, the writer seems to question the US officials� version and he might be suggesting:  �this is the diplomatic position but we all know Washington considered him at least predictable�

I think the choice of the reporting verb (insist) is not unintentional; there is a previous sentence which, I think,  points in that direction too:

Still, the Obama administration insists there is no cause for alarm.               

Ana

16 May 2013     

dmharg
Greece

I think it means that they don �t feel nostalgic at all. They feel everything else but nostalgic. Don �t miss him at all :)

16 May 2013     

douglas
United States

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-korea-north-kim-idUSBRE93204Q20130403
Here �s the article.

Thanks for all the input everyone, it was a lot of help.

Douglas

17 May 2013