Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz    

Help plz

kooora
Belgium

Help plz

hi dear collegues :)
I am a teacher at highschool and I am confused with the difference between an article and an essay in writing :(
I know that an Essay comprises an introduction and Body and Conclusion
but what about an article?
plz help as students never stop asking about the difference between the two forms of writings?
thaaaaaaaaaaaanks in advance :)

16 May 2013      

douglas
United States

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-article-and-vs-essay/

"An article is written to throw light on a given aspect of a niche. On the other hand, an essay is written or prepared for examination point of view."

16 May 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello Koora.

I found this short explanation on http://wiki.answers.com
I hope you find it useful.

An essay usually develops some form of argument and therefore begins with an introduction, has a number of intermediary paragraphs in which the argument is developed and then arrives at a conclusion which is set out in the final paragraph.

An article does not necessary develop an argument or even display a point of view. It is simply a succinct way of imparting information. Because it is aimed at a readership which seeks to be informed, it has shorter paragraphs than an essay.

All the best.

16 May 2013     

Flor.c_15
Argentina

Hello 
ARTICLE: you start with a retorical question like have you seen how many people take the elevator stead the stairs?
and then you talk about the positive and negative things about that and you can talk from your point of view, using in my opinion or to my view.
ESSAY: this is the estructure that I use for an essay
As you know (intro the topic)
I would like to put the arguments in favor/against (you talk about the positive and negative things)
In spite of this (you give an advise)
remember in an essay you can�t give your opinion you have to use "people think" or (something) is thought to ....
I hope you understand the diference 

16 May 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I agree with maceman.

17 May 2013