Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Need help with reported speech.    

Need help with reported speech.

eng789
Israel

Need help with reported speech.

How would you change this to REPORTED/INDIRECT SPEECH?

Harriet remarked,"There �s an interesting exhibition at the local museum next week."

Harriet remarked that there is/was  an interesting exhibition at the museum the followng week.

I know that according to the rules it should be was  but it doesn �t sound right to me because it is talking about an event in the FUTURE.

Thanks for your help.

Have a super weekend.
HugBarbara

17 May 2013      

anaram
Spain

If there is no further information to suggest that the exhibition is still on and it is still the same week, I would stick to general rules:

Harriet remarked that there was an interesting exhibition at the museum the following week.

There would be an interesting exhibition  would stress the idea that the exhibition would take place after the time of the speech, but I don�t think you need that.

17 May 2013     

alex1968
Greece

It depends on the time when it was reported.
If you reported it directly, then you don �t change the tenses.

Harriet: "There �s an interesting exhibition at the museum next week."
Sarah to Anne: "What did she say? What did she say?"
Anne to Sarah: She said (that) the is an interesting exhibition at the museum next week.

But if we don �t know when the remark took place...and we presume that it �s way back, then you �d change all the tenses etc.  (especially in exams!)

Harriet remarked that there was an interesting exhibition at the museum the follow week.

So, it all depends on the contextSmile

17 May 2013     

eng789
Israel

Thank you both.

Barbara  Thumbs Up

18 May 2013