Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help    

help

silvia.patti
Italy

help

Which is the correct option?
1. My parents must/have to go to work every day.
2. you mustn �t/shouldn �t use your mobile phone when you are driving
Thanks
Silvia

21 May 2013      

libertybelle
United States

Both are correct.

21 May 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

My parents have to go to work everyday = they need to in order to earn their living / their job requires that they go everyday

You mustn �t use your mobile while driving = It �s forbidden by law  = if you do, you �ll be punished. 

21 May 2013     

isabel queen
Mexico

I think that in the second one both are correct, but if you use mustn �s it �s because you are talking with an aurotrity point of view. And if you use it with shouldn �t it �s because you are talking with a friend point of view.

21 May 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

As libertybelle already mentioned, both answers to both questions are correct. In the first example, there is little difference in meaning. In the second, as mohamedthabet and isabel queen note, mustn �t is much stronger than shouldn �t. "Mustn �t" means that there will be serious consequences, such as getting a ticket or causing an accident. "Shouldn �t" means more that a course of action is undesirable but implies that the consequences are not that bad. I prefer mustn �t for the second example because using a cell or mobile phone while driving is quite hazardous, especially texting.

21 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

To add one thing, "must" is much more formal than "have to". The meaning is the same, but the mood is different.

Bruce

21 May 2013     

silvia.patti
Italy

Thanks, they were two sentences of a test and I don �t want to mark a mistake if there isn �t.

22 May 2013