Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help in correction PLEASE    

Help in correction PLEASE

GigiGraziano
Argentina

Help in correction PLEASE

HI DEARS COLLEGUES,

CAN YOU HELP ME?? IN AN ACTIVITY TO CONTRAST SIMPLE PAST AND PRESENT PERFECT ONE STUDENT WROTE:

Nadal was boern in 1986. HE WON FOUR FRENCH OPEN TITTLES. In 2008, he BecAme (I WANTED TO WRITE SORRY) the second man.... ( the context)

IS IT CORRECT OR HE SHOULD HAVE USED PRESENT PERFECT? AS THERE IS NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE TIME WHEN HE WON.

24 May 2013      

yanogator
United States

If there is no context, then either tense is correct. Since you say that the activity was to contrast the tenses, I guess there was some context given to help the students decide. Please provide more information on the activity, so we can help you better.
Thanks,
Bruce

24 May 2013     

GigiGraziano
Argentina

I think that Present perfect is correct because the is no an especific expression of time that say when he won the tittles. is it correct???

24 May 2013     

Flor.c_15
Argentina

Nadal was born in 1986. HE has won FOUR FRENCH OPEN TITTLES. In 2008, he Became the second man....
I think is better like this because if you want to say that he won something you have to say when but in perfect you don�t care when you just care that he has won 4 french open tittles (I mean in his entired careear he won those tittles). then you say when (in 2008) he became a second blabla and there you have to use simple past, I hope you understand me =)
Saludos!

24 May 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

As all the colleagues above say, In 2008 he became = simple past because we know the time when the action took place.

In the sentence: He won 4 titles, we have to use present perfect (he has won) because no definite time is given and Nadal is still alive. Preferably, we add some adverb indicating that this happened throughout his life  / career as tennis player : so far, up to now, ..

24 May 2013     

jannabanna
France

As a Brit I would say: Nadal was born in 1986. He has won four French open titles (present perfect because it �s unfinished past - he is still alive and could win more titles). In 2008, he became the second man..... (finished past & dated - 2008) Janet

24 May 2013     

GigiGraziano
Argentina

flor sisi gracias as� pensaba pero aveces hay chicos que van a insti y te discuten hasta cansarse!!! y quer�a tener mas opiniones!!!! mil graciasssss 

To all that answer: 

THANKS A LOT!!! TO CONFIRM WHAT I THOUGHT, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR OPINIONS AND HELP!!! 

THANKS AGAIN

24 May 2013     

Flor.c_15
Argentina

De nada =)

24 May 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

If this is an exam question then IMO both past simple and present perfect should be considered correct.

I �m with Bruce on this one.

25 May 2013