Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a dessert generation    

a dessert generation

jarek2011
Poland

a dessert generation

I �ve got a question: what do you call a generation of today �s teengers who will stop at nothing to get their way. They whine and complain, pester their parents until they give up and do as their kids want them to do. The kids do not have to make an effort because everything is done for them.

I have hunted the web and found the phrase " dessert generation" but I wonder whether the phrase is commonly used. Can you think of any other synonymous phrases describing today �s generation of kids?

27 May 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I know what you mean! What they do is called �pester power �. I remember reading a story written by a middle aged man about terrible teenagers, doing just as you say. It was written about a thousand years ago. Who that writer was, I just can �t remember. Unhappy

27 May 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

hi cunliffe,

thank you for the quick reply. yeah, pester power is the phrase that I know of but how would you call a generation of today �s youth who use it as their main tool? perster power generation? What I mean is what we call a generation of today�s teenagers who do not have to lift a finger because everything is done for them. Kids do not have to make an effort because their parents remove every obstacles form the children�s life (sth like helicopter parenting). We have MTV generation that is heavily influenced by pop culture and the mass media, what about the one that is too lazy and need to pull out their finger if they want to make it in life? Does English have a word for that?

27 May 2013     

anaram
Spain

Cunliffe,

I think you �re referring to Socrates

�Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.�

I constantly think about this quote because I usually feel what Jarek2011 describes. So I think it must have always been like that. But then I think I have been teaching for over 26 years now and I have only had this feeling for the last three or four years. Maybe I�m just getting old.

27 May 2013     

abba
Spain

How do you call them in your own language? In Spanish they are ni-ni (=neither-nor) because they neither study nor work at all (=ni estudia ni trabaja).

Bel�n

27 May 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

In Norwegian we call such spoiled youth "dessert generation" or "icing generation" - everything is served to them. I was wondering whether as similar and graphic term as the one that I mentioned was coined in English. 

27 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

In the USA we would call them a SPOILED BRAT. SPOILED because their parents let them get away with doing nothing, and giving in to their every whim. Therefore they have been spoiled. And BRAT because of their constant whining, having tantrums and general bad behaviour.

27 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There �s another side to this. There are few prospects for this generation and because of this, we call them �the lost generation. �

28 May 2013     

douglas
United States

I have never heard the term "Dessert Generation" used before--it �s not a bad term though.

28 May 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Sorry to spoil the fun, I think we should be looking for a term for the parents who let their kids get to this point...Parents who are so afraid of conflict with their kids that they forgo any parental authority by the time their kids are three. Overcompensating the fact that they don �t spend time with their offspring by buying them the latest toys, clothes, games and gadgets. Complain about the amount of time their kids spend on a computer without ever simply turning the thing off for example........
I had never heard the term �dessert generation� before but I would use the term for the parents rather than for he kids, they are the ones who offer the dessert, without ever demanding the kids eat some real food first...wouldn�t want to spoil the twenty minutes the family spends together on insisting they eat vegetables now would we...?
Many kids today seem to be craving not desserts, but some real guidance. More and more often I hear kids explain how they wish their parents would forbid them to do something, or tell them to be home at a certain hour or make them do something before they get their way. They often interpret the lack of parental authority as a sign the parents don�t care....(often of course, the opposite is true)

sorry for ranting..fed up a bit with parents emotionally neglecting but economically pampering kids...

28 May 2013