Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > be+ adjective + to-infinitive    

be+ adjective + to-infinitive

abba
Spain

be+ adjective + to-infinitive

These days we �re practising verbs followed by bare infinitive, to-infinitive and gerund. According to the rule when the verb to be is followed by an adjective we write to-infinitive like in  He �s glad to be here or it �s nice to see you again. However, in one reading I came across the following sentence: she �s busy planning her trip. Could you explain me why -ing is used in this case? because I couldn �t find out.
Thanks in advance.
Bel�n

27 May 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s a collocation:) 
If Alex (Almaz) was around, he could probably go into detail and explain the roots of it.
I �d go with remembering it as a dictionary entry:
2 busy (doing something) spending a lot of time on somethingJames is busy practising for the school concert.Let �s get busy with the clearing up.They were busy enjoying themselves at the party.

Sophia

27 May 2013     

abba
Spain

Thanks a million Sophia, the fact is that Michael Swam mentions as adjectives that can take either -ing form or infinitive the following: accustomed, afraid, certain, interested, sorry, sure and used but nothing was said about busy. Thanks a bunch.
Bel�n

27 May 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

P. S. ah, he is around:)
Sophia

27 May 2013