Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Debut ...    

Debut ...

mari_18cf
Brazil

Debut ...

Hey guys,

I would like to know if there is a possibility to say this "I �ll debut my new shirt tonight"

I find this sentence quite weird as debut for me means present for the first time to the public in relation to arts.

What verb could I use instead of debut to mean I am wearing it for the first time?

Thanks in advance!

30 May 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a fun usage of language! I �d say, go with it and have a laugh. I think using �debut � as a verb is probably American...So you could also say, �My new shirt is making its debut tonight... �
Just one thing - the new shirt really needs to be something spectacular to warrant this language! Maybe we could have a picture?

30 May 2013     

meuge
Argentina

I would say "I �m wearing my brand-new shirt tonight" but I cannot think of a verb...sorry...

30 May 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"My shirt is making its d�but tonight".

30 May 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Nice to see you again Les. Long time no see! Hope you �re fine.Smile

30 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Lynne is right that people in the US turn just about any noun into a verb.

Bruce

30 May 2013     

Jayho
Australia

The online Macmillan Dictionary lists debut as a verb.

Personally, I wouldn �t use it like that, nor would I actually use the word, but it is acceptable.

Here �s some examples similar to yours that  I found via googling

John Cena debuts new shirt tonight at Night of Champions

My new shirt will be debuted tonight at 6-a-side.

Cheers

Jayho

30 May 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Debut as a verb seems to be becoming quite popular with sports commentators here in Australia meaning the first time a player has played at a certain level, eg "John Smith debuts in tonight �s international match"
I would never use it for wearing something for the first time!

31 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I have just put a bid in on ebay for the most fabulous suit. It is wonderful, out of this world. This suit will wear me, not the other way round. This suit looks like it could go to the party all by itself. If I win it, I will d�but it at my friends � joint 100th birthday party. Also, I will post a picture of this suit on the caf�. Oh hell, I have to win it now; better increase my bid. 

31 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

But observe that mari is using it transitively - to debut a thing, which is different from the examples the others have given.

Bruce

31 May 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Good point Bruce

Mari, to see more about debut being used transitively and intransitively look at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/debut

Also, the visuwords site has an interesting entry for debut http://www.visuwords.com/

Did you know that the first known use of this word as a verb was 1830? (according to the etymology dictionary)

Cheers

Jayho

31 May 2013     

1    2    Next >