Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help Reducing File Size    

Help Reducing File Size

tlbojko
United States

Help Reducing File Size

Help! 

I have a fantastic worksheet to share but I can not upload it because the file is too big.  It is 4 pages but even the first page by itself is too large to upload.  It is currently 2.07MB and I have already compressed the pictures.  Any suggestions?  I would really like to share this worksheet as is - the pictures are necesary and I like the layout.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Tracy

28 Jan 2009      

sshheeeepp
Antigua and Barbuda

I�ve got the same problem:(

28 Jan 2009     

sekmen
United States

hi,
have you tried saving it as pdf document? it may help. but i have not seen any pdf. worksheets here. i am not sure if we can upload pdf.

28 Jan 2009     

tlbojko
United States

I tried uploading it as a pdf but we can only upload .doc here.

28 Jan 2009     

Paola_
Argentina

Download a WORD document compressor.
Another teacher advised us to use NXPowerLite.
http://www.softsia.com/NXPowerLite-download-yvjn.htm
I downloaded it and it works really well.
It�s very easy to use.
But there might be other programmes as effective as this one.
Just try them!
Good luck!Wink

28 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

This is a very common problem faced by nearly every new member.  There are a number of tutorials that show you how to reduce your file size.  One is my own at http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=107849#thetop but Helen McK also has an excellent sheet on reducing the size of pictures.

Alien Boy seems to be the resident geek on this issue (no insult I promise) and one of his suggestions that does seem to work well is to produce your document.  Copy it into to new document and save it again.

Also not embedding true type fonts reduces the size.

But basically if your contribution is still far too big then you will have to produce it as two worksheets, however with careful planning, most can be reduced down to a reasonable size.

Hav a look at Frenchfrog�s contributions and you will see that she can get as many as 30 illustrations on one page without it being too big.

Hope this helps

28 Jan 2009     

tlbojko
United States

Fantastic.  I am almost there (306kb)!  You all have been so helpful.  Be on the lookout for a great new idiom worksheet :  )  I hope you enjoy the pics bc I have worked hard to get them to you!

28 Jan 2009