Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Exclamation marks!!!    

Exclamation marks!!!

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Exclamation marks!!!

Hello, dear friends. I am in a spot of bother (bit of trouble) about an email I sent to a colleague.

Can you tell me this: what does a series of exclamation marks mean? Do they indicate humour (my intention) or anger (the other person �s interpretation?). This is what I put at the end of a point I made: Seriously!!!!

14 Jun 2013      

Allisa
Bulgaria

Dear Cunliffe,

I see it as a way to emphasize your statement. It doesn �t imply humour nor anger. If the preceding sentence sounded angry or funny, then the iteration of exclamation marks amplified the effect for sure. I hope it helps.

Allisa

14 Jun 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think a couple of exclamation marks are fine. It just means you are enthusiastic, unless you are talking to a grammarian of the Oxbridge kind as they are apt to get a little pedantic and start quoting punctuation rules to you that are way out of date. If you were angry you would USE CAPITALS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!! AND A FEW INSULTS FOR GOOD MEASURE!!! Or maybe one of these: Angry

Wink

14 Jun 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

to me it sounds more sarcastic than humorous or angry:) so many men so many minds:)

Sophia

14 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks for your answers. I googled it and strangely, a lot of research shows that women use exclamation marks more than men(!) and mainly in an effort to appear friendly. 

Let �s be honest; I owe somebody an apology, gotta face up to it! 

15 Jun 2013     

Gaby141
United Kingdom

In my opinion, I think that many of your comments (including exclamation marks and capital letters) to your fellow colleagues on this website, often come across angry, rude or sarcastic, especially a comment a couple of days ago that you made to a teacher who you thought was rude. Traditionally British people are known to be more polite, and we should take care when putting our thoughts and opinions into writing. Sorry but you did ask.

15 Jun 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

At the end of the day Lynne, I wouldn �t worry. If people get hung up on small things (like punctuation), they are the ones with the problem. With text messages, facebook and the likes it �s difficult to know the tone of a message unless you are talking face to face. In my experience, there may be something in what you say about exclamation marks and women, or am I being a completely sexist so-and-so? Tongue

15 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you spinney. What actually happened was that I had to step in to do a science class at the last minute. I thought I �d do a �sink or float � experiment - there is plenty of language in that - predict/observe/will sink/did sink /sank etc. I got a tray of objects together and asked the science technician for a bucket of water. He said �no � as he needed two days � notice to set a practical up. Practical? All I wanted was a bucket of water!!! Anyway, he wouldn �t let me have one, so the librarian brought me 6  and the kids did the experiment in groups. I then - and I know I shouldn �t have done it! - sent him an email saying how hilarious I found this - two days � notice for a bucket of water, ha ha!!! Seriously!!! Anyway, the headteacher was none too happy when it reached him. Folks have no sense of humour these days!

15 Jun 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I would say "This is just ridiculous! A two-days� notice for a bucket of water! Seriously?!!!!" and I wouldn �t be jokingWink

15 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Sophia. It is a complete farce, isn �t it? But I have to apologise. Still, everyone I �ve told has burst out laughing, so at least I �ve got a good story out of it!

OMG, I�ve just seen Gaby�s remarks. I am very sorry if I�ve caused anybody any offence on here. It was definitely unintentional. I wonder if she could back up what she says? And what rude comment did I make a couple of days ago? And when did I use capitals or exclamation marks to be rude? 

15 Jun 2013     

Gaby141
United Kingdom

You ask on a public forum for advice and then send me an angry email telling me to justify my nasty email and apologise. You asked for peoples opinion on your exclamation marks, and whether we they / you can be perceived as coming across angry, I honestly said that I find many of your comments that way including rude, or sarcastic, as did another colleague on here. The email you sent me below, shows again that you are angry, and �my dear � in a complaining, angry email in my opinion is patronising. The message you posted on the forum 12th June to Simged86 was "Fair enough, Manon (a previous replier), but I think he �s got a real cheek. Who does he think he is? Perphaps if you explained what both sentences mean. They are very strong and argumentative statements, yet he hadn �t said anything to you (I don �t know him by the way, it �s just that I notice how you always respond to others). Or you could stop arguing with your colleagues. You have already admitted that you were wrong, and now you attack others that you asked advice from. Your email. cunliffe United Kingdom (no subject) Hello Gaby, what a nasty comment to make on a public forum. Well, you �ve clearly got me mixed up with somebody else. I am the epitome of English charm, good manners and humour. Maybe an apology, my dear, or an example of my rudeness to justify your nasty comment? 15 Jun 2013 Send an answer Delete this message

16 Jun 2013     

1    2    Next >