Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > gastronomia española - estereotipos    

gastronomia española - estereotipos

morganalin
Portugal

gastronomia española - estereotipos

Hello, 

Spanish teachers, I need your help. 

Can u tell me if there are any stereotypes related to traditional Spanish food?

Which ones? Are they related to Spanish autonomous communities?

thanks a lot in advance for your help

24 Jun 2013      

Zora
Canada

Well, paella is a huge stereotype. Not only is it a regional thing. True paella is not made with seafood! It has meat, usually rabbit, chicken and/or snails.

Gazpacho .. definitely a regional thing. Not made in the northern part of Spain.

Beer is actually more popular than wine.

24 Jun 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I once used the word "spicy" next to "paella" in one of my worksheets because I thought it had chilly in it as I ´ve seen it in a TV show (probably the chef was experimenting) and here ´s the comment I got from a person from Spain:
Regarding paella, I can tell you that definitely it doesn ´t have chilly, in fact chilly is not a typical ingredient in Spanish food, but paella doesn ´t have it for sure. I know what I ´m talking about because my hometown is in the area of Valencia, where paella originally comes from and where you can eat the best paellas in Spain and in the world.
Maybe you ´ll find this information useful.
Sophia

24 Jun 2013     

a.antonides
Spain

Let ´s see.... Jamón iberico, chorizo, churos, tostada con aceite, tomate y ajo, salmorejo, migas (Andalucía), tinto de verano, aceitunas, chocos, boquerones...... I ´m getting hungry!

24 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

Summer Ink?????  (tinto de verano). Either my Spanish is WAY off, or this is not what it sounds like.

Bruce

24 Jun 2013     

Zora
Canada

Tinto refers to vino tinto - red wine. It ´s a refreshing drink made with red wine. You are thinking of ´tinta ´ which means ink. Smile

24 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Linda. I frequently confuse "tinto" with "tinta" as, I ´m sure, many students of Spanish do.

Bruce

24 Jun 2013     

douglas
United States

In Zaragossa we used to eat a lot of pinchos, calamares, and some kind of (fried?, boiled?)potato strips with  mayonaise and tabasco I  think they were called "patatas blancas" or "patatas frites", but they weren´t regular french fries

Bocadillos were also pretty popular, but for "stereotypical" Spanish (not Mexican) food paella (with lots of seafood, sorry Linda) is on the top of the list.

Oh yea!  and churros con chocolate (early mornings after the discos closed).

25 Jun 2013     

Zora
Canada

I love churros! Smile

And the potatoes are ´patatas bravas ´ - wild (or hot) potatoes. There is also ´escarbeche ´ - lots of fish are done this way. It ´s a vinegar based marinade.

Horchata is also typical. It ´s a drink made from a type of bean. In Spain, they tend to use Chufas or tigernuts.

25 Jun 2013     

olandin
Spain

There is a Spanish typical food that  people have in all the autonomous comunities :"tortilla española" is an omelette made of potatoes, onion (if you like)  eggs and Spanish olive oil of course.
By the way the right name of the sauce for fish, mussels and other seafod, it´s "escabeche".

25 Jun 2013     

douglas
United States

Good example Olandin, in Mexico tortillas are something completely different--a Spanish friend of mine used to make us "tortillas españolas", I loved them.

25 Jun 2013     

1    2    Next >