Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > grammar rules    

grammar rules

bibikos
Greece

grammar rules

good evening to all of you,

according to current ELT methodology,would you consider it acceptable for 7-8 year-olds to write a few grammar rules in their notebooks (when their companion doesn �t seem to be so helpful), or would you find it a waste of time?

thanks in advance and have a nice summer

27 Jun 2013      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Tricky one, that. I would have thought that as ELT methodology also says we should try to teach English in English - meaning we need to keep explanations and demonstrations as simple as possible - that if they do write a grammar note in their book, the notes should mostly be examples, using perhaps colour and lines to show what is what, rather than "explanations". Certainly it is important to understand the structure of English, but I would suggest that you keep notes as simple as possible, if you have them at all (for 7 and 8 year-olds, that is).

27 Jun 2013     

bibikos
Greece

thanks for the help

28 Jun 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Why not make grammar cards with your YLs?

When teaching present continuous with YLs, we make colour-coded cards.
*A seperate card for each pronoun (I, you, he, she etc) (I use red coloured cardboard)
*A seperate card for am, is, are, -ing and not (Green cardboard)
*A seperate card for the verbs you want to practice (read, write, open etc) (yellow cardboard)

Then you can get the kids to play around with the cards.
E.g. you show a flashcard of a boy playing football and the kids form He is playing with their cards. (Also miming games)
Cards are great for teaching interrogative (Questions) and negative forms.
When a kid consistently forgets to add -ing to the verb, I get him/her to keep the -ing card on his desk to remind him/her - works wonders!

28 Jun 2013     

popera_flor
Argentina

I agree with alex1968. It is not good to teach them grammar as they will not get it yet but the idea he proposses is quite good as children will focus on other things but you will be teacher "grammar" in a way.

28 Jun 2013