Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A 10 year old student goes to USA...    

A 10 year old student goes to USA...

izulia
China

A 10 year old student goes to USA...

Hello, 
One of my students, a girl of 10 years old, pre-intermediate level, is going to the USA for a two week English language course. She is going to stay with a local family but her mother will be living in a hotel. Her parents asked me to teach the girl speaking as much as she can manage in 5 one hour lessons before her trip. 

I �ve never prepared students for a particular educational trip, so I thought she might need some useful phrases in different topics , eg. directions, shopping (the girl �s mum is a shopaholic :)), maybe talking about China and the city she lives in, expressing opinions... Any other useful topics?

Also do you have some ideas how I can present these speaking activities in one-on-one lessons? 

Thank you!

4 Jul 2013      

Tere-arg
Argentina

I can tell you what I do:  I work with dialogues/situations  which we end up role playing. While doing so, we  see possible variations.
I always try to use recordings (when I have them!), so the st  may get used to different ways of speaking.

Subjects? greetings, introductions asking for info, asking for directions, going shopping, at a cafe/restaurant, solving problems, making a complaint/asking for a refund, apologizing, making excuses,  making an invitation: accepting/refusing, on the bus, taking a taxi,  traveling by train/subway,  etc.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

4 Jul 2013     

Wigtail
Russian Federation

My students like Practical English units (watching some situations and repeating the phrases, making similar dialogues and variations) in the book New English File Elementary.  The elementary version of this book has greetings, checking in/out, shopping .....

4 Jul 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Basic vocabulary:

- food, clothes, family, pets, animals, rooms ...

- Greetings   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIFEVLzP4o

Make short dialogues with the basic vocabulary
:

- What �s your favourite.... ?       What are you wearing? 
- Do you like.... ?

Use Wh-questions for short dialogues     Who, What, Where, Why, Which, When or How

Can I have a .... ?   Can I go to...?

My name is ....      I �m from....      I �m ten years old     I live in a (house, flat....)

I �ve got ....     I haven �t got.....

I like....       I don �t like.....

How are you?    How do you feel today?   I �m happy, sad, tired          I feel .....

4 Jul 2013     

izulia
China

Thank you for your help and the ideas. Very useful indeed! :)

4 Jul 2013     

douglas
United States

Airport/customs -- this will be their first impression and sets the stage for the rest of the stay.

5 Jul 2013     

izulia
China

Thanks, Douglas! I did this as my first lesson :)

6 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Where will she be in the US? Maybe one of us locals will be nearby.

Bruce

6 Jul 2013