Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How much OR What ´s the price??    

How much OR What ´s the price??

Wigtail
Russian Federation

How much OR What ´s the price??

Hi, everyone!

My adult student travels a lot and enjoys speaking English while being abroad. She puzzled me saying that foreigners (e.g. Dominicans) don �t use the phrases like "How much is that?", "How much are these?" etc. Instead of them this one is used "What �s the price...?"

Help me, please. Is "how much" out-of-date? Which one is used in the UK and the USA more frequently?

Thanks

4 Jul 2013      

pameladion24
Canada

You �re not out of date...anyway here in Canada we still use How much or the other........English is English, as long as the other person understands...who cares the way you say it.

Don �t let others make you doubt about your ability.

Big Smile,

Naomi

4 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

How much is...? How much are...?

4 Jul 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree it is not out of date. I think each person or culture just has their own way to form the question. You could also say "What is the cost?" They all mean the same thing.

In the US, the most common question would be simply "How much?"

But speaking of outdated phrases, it always tickled me when I first arrived here in Singapore when on the bus or train I heard teenagers use the phrase "Oh... that �s so troublesome." LOL (Ok... what they really said was "Oh... so troublesome lah.") :-P

Honestly, I hadn �t head the word since my grandmother used it. So hearing it come out of a teen �s mouth struck me as funny. But here, it �s commonly used by everyone. Anyone else out there have some unusual phrases that have caught them off guard?

4 Jul 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

An Aussie friend once told me that should I ever find myself in a shop Down Under wondering what the price of something was, I should just ask for a lady called "Emma Chizzit".

5 Jul 2013     

Wigtail
Russian Federation

thank you for your answers. you helped me a lot

5 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Alex,
I think "Emma Chizzit" is from a wonderful book that I used to have called Let Stalk Strine. I lent it to someone years ago, and never saw it again. I �m sure I could find it on Amazon. In Oz, they shave with "rise up lides". At the moment, I can � remember any of the other gems in the book.

Bruce

6 Jul 2013     

Apodo
Australia

I remember that book! It was written by Affabeck Lauder.

We all live in Gloria Soames and keep cool with egg nishners. (not sure of the spelling LOL)

6 Jul 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

When I first came to Australia, I was amused by the abbreviations:
�ave a good avo= have a good afternoon
avo =avocado
Salvos=people from the Salvation army
ambos= ambulance drivers
pollies= politicians

7 Jul 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha so funny re Aussie English  - my overseas students who come here to improve their English simply don �t understand a thing when they go to the shops.  Their textbook English just doesn �t work here but luckily we have some very good Australian ESL books full of Aussie English to help them practice.

In terms of How much - these are used in my neck of the woods as are the other expressions mentioned here

Cheers

Jayho

7 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Apodo. That �s the book.

7 Jul 2013