Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary related question to native-speakers    

Vocabulary related question to native-speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Vocabulary related question to native-speakers

Could anyone from our native-speaking forum frequenters clarify something for me please? 
I �ve heard the word "sequence" in a show and from the context I �ve figured it was "a paillette" (a piece of evidence in a murder-mystery investigation). But no matter where I tried to look it up, I couldn �t find this meaning. So, my question, is it a fairly new coinage that it �s not even in the dictionary, nor in wikipedia? To tell the truth there was no "paillette" in my favourite dictionary eitherConfused So, how is this thing called in different parts of the English-speaking world?

7 Jul 2013      

frenchfrog
France

Maybe �sequins � and not �sequence �? Wink

7 Jul 2013     

ellakass
Israel

7 Jul 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

In Quebec, you would hear "paillettes" for the picture you �re showing.  Frenchfrog is correct, those are sequins.

7 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh, thanks, Laurence (I hope I remmeber your name right..)! So, I got the spelling wrong all together and sequins really IS in the dictionary. Well, you live and learn:) The word never came up in any of the books I use:)
Sophia

P.S. Thank you, Ella and Manon!

7 Jul 2013     

stuartallen77
China

They are called sequins...

7 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, I kinda got it already, Stuart, thanks.

8 Jul 2013     

libertybelle
United States

Although they are called sequins - they are also called  pailettes

See here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paillette

8 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks Liberty:)

8 Jul 2013