Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > EdimIburg    

EdimIburg

inmaaa86
Spain

EdimIburg

Hi everyone!
Next Sunday I �m going to go to Edimburg with my husband and children. I would be very grateful is someone from this site could give some advice in relation to the places we should visit. We are going to hire a car to see the towns nearby. I have made my plans but I think that people who have been there before and  know well the place can give good advice. Thanks in advance for your help!
Inma.

8 Jul 2013      

Mietz
Germany

Hello Inma,
it depends of course, how much time you have, but here are a few tips of what to do in my favourite city: :-)

I would start with the Royal Mile -> Castle (you don �t have to go inside, if you don �t have much time) -> the Whisky Museum (worth it) -> St. Giles Cathedral and Heart of Midlothian -> Knox House -> House of Parliament -> Holyrood Palace � und Shops around there.

Then you could take a walk around the new town with the lovely Princess Street gardens, the National Gallery, and the smaller and bigger streets of the Georgian New town.

Museumwise I would recommend the Royal Museum of Scotland and the Whisky Museum (ride in a whisky barrel through history). Also the tours of the haunted underground city are worth it. Even if you don �t believe in ghosts, it �s an interesting place to see.

I love walking up Arthur �s seat. If you don �t have so much time, then Calton Hill will do fine, too, regarding lovely views.

For trips around I think a must see is - of course - Roslyn Chapel. The masonery inside is just breathtaking.

If you have loads of time, then nice for walks are Crammond beach and the outlines of the former roman fortress there, or Portobello beach or even Graigmillar castle (which I enjoyed better than the actual Edinburgh castle).

Also - if you have time for daytrips, then down south, the border Abbys are worth seeing, or go to North Berwick. If you are lucky, then you might get a boat trip to one of the islands, where you can see puffins.

Up north there �s too much to recommend, to write it here.

I wish you a lovely trip! Say hello to Edinburgh for me! Smile
Mietz

8 Jul 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �d like to just echo what Mietz said about visiting the Borders - absolutely littered with ruined abbeys, castles, tower houses and the odd Roman wall. Oh, and golf links up and down the coast. There �s also a lovely wee village just over the Kincardine Bridge to the north-west called Culross (pronounced Kooriss) which is well worth a visit. If you �ve got the time, you really should visit Glasgow too (but take the train).

8 Jul 2013