Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Creating a visual dictionary    

Creating a visual dictionary

Jehanne18
France

Creating a visual dictionary

Hello everyone!
Next school year, I would like to work on a project with one of my colleagues, who is teaching plumbing in our school.
The idea would be to create some kind of visual dictionary about the tools, machines and techniques used in the field of construction.
We are planning to start an eTwinning project (if we find enough interested partners!) and we wonder what sort of softwares we could use to make our dictionary.
I have had a look on the Net but did not find many things, so if you have already created your own visual dictionary with your class, then I would be very grateful if you could share your experience with us!
Thanks a lot in advance!
oh! If our project interests you, then, you are very welcome in the team!!! Smile

16 Jul 2013      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

I often make some pictionaries for my kids; they are, probably younger than yours, they are only 10 / 12. They like learningchocolate.com.

There they can practice listening, reading and writing the new vocabulary. They can even have a dictation. Kids like these.

If you don �t know about this site ( free, you just have to create your account ), have a look, you can see some of my stuff.

Linda

16 Jul 2013     

Jehanne18
France

Hi Linda!
Thanks for your reply. I like your site!
Actually, I am looking for a software my students (15-17 years old) could use to create our visual dictionary in class.
Your site seems interested indeed because apparently, later we could contribute with a game, this would be very motivating for the students! Do you think it would possible, maybe under my name? And, just another question about it: can we contribute with photos? Or are only cliparts and drawings accepted? Because for us, the aim was to take a photo of the tools employed at the workshop, and then put them on our visual dictionary with the words in English underneath.
Well, thanks again!

16 Jul 2013     

dennismychina
China

Hi Jehanne,

Sounds like an interesting project.

I have found this site very informative.  http://www.ehow.com/ehow-home/

The projects are added by people who have done all the hard work and explain in detail (usually) the procedures.

Another possibility is to use photo album software.

Good Luck.

Enjoy.

16 Jul 2013     

frenchfrog
France

You could also create an interactive book with Didapages.
I have been creating interactive books for 4 years now and my students like them a lot. You can have a look at them here.

Frenchfrog

17 Jul 2013