Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help please    

help please

metcet20
Turkey

help please

Hello everybody!
Who were/was these pictures painted by?
Is it was as the agent is singular
Is it were as pictures are plural

Thanks in advance

17 Jul 2013      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

The right variant is "Who were these pictures painted by?" as the subject "pictures" is in  plural.

17 Jul 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

korova-daisy is exactly right; the word "pictures" is the subject of the sentence. This question is in the passive mood, meaning that the agent is not the grammatical subject. Grammar purists would probably prefer, "By whom were these pictures painted?" This avoids a preposition at the end of the sentence and emphasizes that who/whom is really the object of the preposition "by." Most people aren �t such sticklers; "Who were these pictures painted by?" is perfectly acceptable in most situations.

17 Jul 2013     

kewayzey
Malaysia

I think the subject is "pictures" (a plural), therefore "were" should be used.
However, shouldn �t "Who" be replaced with "Whom"?
"Whom" should probably be used as the question refers to the object which is the painter, and not the subject which are the pictures.

18 Jul 2013     

douglas
United States

Personally I don �t teach "whom"--it is a dying term and in most circles "who" has become acceptable for both subject and object.

18 Jul 2013     

kewayzey
Malaysia

Thank you, that �s good to know. Smile

18 Jul 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �d agree with Douglas. There are very few occasions - particularly in speech - where whom doesn �t come across as affected or grotesquely formal (although, in a formal written context, the man to whom I gave the letter would obviously be preferable to *the man to who I gave the letter). 

And talking of putting a preposition at the end of a sentence ( �preposition stranding �), only a person who has an incomplete or twisted understanding of English syntax and usage would condemn it out of hand. Even HW Fowler (no mad descriptivist he) referred to the notion that it was an error as a "cherished superstition".

18 Jul 2013