Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help: Grammatical question     

Need help: Grammatical question

pameladion24
Canada

Need help: Grammatical question

Do the following take a period or a question mark? I automatically put a question mark, but like all teachers do many times, I doubted. I �m not sure about the indirect question rule. I know it �s funny, but although these all start with "Do you think", the first one, sounds to me, as being more indirect than the other two. Also, would there be any commas in the first one? I don �t think so, but I �m not sure. This is for a student worksheet, so only answer if you �re really, positively sure, please. Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you think that the cat is very active. (?) 

Do you think the cat is happy or sad. (?) 

Do you think the cat moved. (?)

18 Jul 2013      

douglas
United States

All take a question mark, they are all questions ("Do you think...?).

No commas.

18 Jul 2013     

kewayzey
Malaysia

In my opinion, because they start with the auxiliary verb "do", so they must be regarded as questions and there should be a question mark.

18 Jul 2013     

pameladion24
Canada

I thought so ,  thanks! And anyway, I simply took out the "that" in the first one. But, could someone give me an example of an indirect question, please? Just so that, I really have a clear picture of the two.

I know this is crazy, but here in Quebec, I don�t know about other places, when we are a native English speaker and go to an English school, we don�t learn any grammar rules like they teach in French schools. I was in university before I had my first real "only grammar" class, and in four years, I had only one! So, I�m sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question, but I really doubted for a minute.  Thanks to everyone that reassured me. 

18 Jul 2013     

Jolly Jumper
France

Here are some examples:
He asked me if I thought the cat was very active.
He asked me whether the cat was happy or sad.
He wondered if the cat had moved.
No question marks since they actually aren �t questions.

This is what I was taught in French schools!
Hope it helps.

18 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Jolly Jumper gave good examples.

If you were old like me, you might have been taught more grammar. In the US (in my day, at least) we were taught grammar through the 9th grade.

Bruce

18 Jul 2013