Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Writing and Civilization    

Writing and Civilization

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

Writing and Civilization

I am doing my college research and I want your help My topic is " Is writing necessary for any civilization or it �s not essential?" Is there any successful civilization which did not have some form of writing? I can �t find any person " thinker" who said that there were some successful civilizations which didn �t have any form of writing. My point is that there aren �t any successful civilizations which did not have some form of writing I want sources about the idea, some thinkers � names Please help me because I am running out of time.

21 Jul 2013      

almaz
United Kingdom

It depends what you mean by �writing system �: there are plenty of historical instances of what �s known as �proto-writing � (which didn �t necessarily tick all the linguistic boxes associated with the usual definition of a writing system). It also depends on what you mean by �successful � civilizations. As far as I �m aware, the Incas of South America didn �t possess a writing system as such (they had a communication system - a form of proto-writing, if you like - called quipus) and they were relatively �successful � - at least until the Spanish arrived.

21 Jul 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

I googled sth, so I �m posting it here in hope it helps...
Best of luck
Anita

21 Jul 2013     

alien boy
Japan

G �day

You may want to investigate North American Indian cultures & histories. If I remember correctly (I read this in an amazing history of the indigenous people of the Americas many years ago) , the Sioux Nation only developed a writing system in the 19th century...

Here �s a wikipedia link about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_language

I think there are 2 important things you need to define:

1) What is a written language?
2) What is a civilization?

The indigenous peoples of AUstralia weren �t declared as possessing a civilization when Australia was colonised by the British. They declared Australia �terra nullious � according to their law at that time, which meant that no native rights were recognised in the colonies at that time. It �s taken until the 1990 �s for land rights to be recognised. Would you say that indigenous peoples had a civilization or just a culture with established customs & mores?

Just a few thoughts...

Good luck!
AB

edit: p.s. You may want to define what you mean by successful, too!

21 Jul 2013