Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What opinion does the rest of the world have of Mexican people?    

What opinion does the rest of the world have of Mexican people?

Emy Lee
Canada

What opinion does the rest of the world have of Mexican people?

Hi there!

I know, this is a strange topic and doesn�t have anything to do with teaching Tongue

Well, I�m currently teaching in Mexico and we are holding a special event for the Mexican Constitution Day on February 5th. Being in charge of the English part of it, I�ve been asked to find out what opinion English speaking countries have of Mexican people. Strange question I know, but I am asking for your help to answer it!!

No offense, but I would need the opinion of American, British, Canadian, Australian, Indian and South African people, more especifically - because it�s part of the project, sorry Embarrassed Everyone is welcome to share his or her opinion anyway!!

Thank you so much for your help!!  Have a nice day!! Smile

29 Jan 2009      

gzagza
Mexico

Suzylima, you really need to go back to school.
Your grammar, spelling, and vocabulary are terrible!

1) You don�t win a salary, you earn a salary.
2) You dont say "This is why they are always wanting" you say, "this is why they always want to" because want doesn�t have a present participle.
3)"Hurt" is an irregular verb. Therefore, it can�t finish in -ed. The past and past participle of hurt is hurt.
4) Instead of saying "what is very bad" you should say "which is very bad"
5) "everydays" doesn�t exist, you can�t pluralize it.
6) "are very suffered people" you can�t say this, it�s not grammatically correct.
Concerning your idea about my country, it is completely wrong. For your information we happen to have the best university in Latin America.
And the rest is pretty much the same opinion that we mexicans have of Brazil; except that everybody lives in a fabela and is dying from aids because almost everyone there makes their living from prostitution.
But here is the thing I have lots of friends from Brazil and I know this isn�t true.
It�s just a stereotype.
I recommend, travelling, meeting people from different countries, reading and keeping an open mind.

29 Jan 2009     

dareka1
Japan

I�m not sure about Mexico, Brazil or the whole of Latin America but I do know that I love, LOVE Pokoyo!!! Great avatar!!! Way to go Pokoyo!!�

29 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Emy Lee,

I think you are in a no-win situation with this type of question.  Whilst I appreciate that your question is written for research purposes, and is an extremely valid one, any replies which are negative towards Mexico are going to be greeted and defended vociferously by others who have an opposite point of view.

Can I suggest that in order to help Emy Lee with her project, anyone interested in replying to this should send her a private message with your opinion so as to avoid any ill feeling or inappropriate responses from eveyone concerned.

Please, for my Mexican friends, I am not saying this because i think all comments about Mexico will be negative, but because - as you can see from the 2 previous replies, it can stir up emotions.

Imagine if the same request was made to ask what is the world�s opinion about America.  I should imagine we would get some quite colourful replies.

So please reply directly to Emy Lee. - just a suggestion.

29 Jan 2009     

campbelldavidson
Japan

Hi,
I am from Britain and  my image of Mexico is mostly positive. I have been to mexico before and I still think of delicious and cheap food first when I think of mexico. I also think of nice beaches but my image is a little colored by the amount of people touting and selling rubbish souveniers. but i guess that is the same in most countries.

Everyone has their own stereotypes and it is interesting discussing them as we all have stereotypes burned into our brains by stupid TV programs and tabloids... Everyone in japan thinks I am a getleman because I�m from England. but no intelligent person judges an individual based on a stereotype.

Stay well clear of negative stereotypes though....... I have had someone tell me immediately after meeting me: "You are violence" (I think he had some strange football hooligan image of English people)

C

29 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Logos is right.
We are all protective of our native countries and any negative response will only hurt people�s feelings.
So I second his motion that all answers should be written as a private message.

L

29 Jan 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Mexico....

If you�re looking for sterotypes then I think Logos has a point, but I personally would love to see the views of different nationalites about each other, but I think that many would be offended. �

My view of mexicans is: I think Giovani dos santos is a great player and I hope he stays with us at spurs :)

29 Jan 2009     

Dudunha
Brazil

Hi Emy!

Funnily enough, I finished a project with my 2nd graders about Mexico and we have a lot in common with Mexico, yet a lot of differences in Brazil.

Firstly, Mexico managed  preserve its past, and its amazing + rich culture, whereas in Brazil, everything related to our past is basically knocked down in order to give room to a new office building and more concrete. Brazil is not interested in preserving the little that has been left. Mexico is proud of it, it�s a reference to the world.

The pupils, who were only 7-8, were fascinated about the Maya and the Aztec cultures. They saw the pyramids, read about the myths, made a webquest about it, studied the main cities, read about Frida Kahlo, etc.

Now, as well as Brazil, Mexico  was also colonized by Europeans, in this case, the Spaniards (Cortez) who dizimated the Indigenous population. Since then, despite its independence, Mexico never been economically independent and corruption, poverty and inequalty is spread everywhere, perhaps in a smaller scale than Brazil.

As long as there are political  interests involved in  power, even in a democratic government, there will be an unfair society no matter if it�s Mexico, Brazil or any other develping country.

Cheers,

Deby

30 Jan 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Well, I would liek to thank everyone for your help!! 

I am aware that this was a tough one, considering the fact that, as Libertybelle wisely said, everyone is protective of his or her own country and culture.

I was lucky not to receive anything offensive.

Nervertheless, we have to admit all of us carry both positive and negative stereotypes around - you should hear what they say about Canadians, LOL. We just have to be respectful enough to express our thoughts the best possible way.

I have spent many years in Mexico already. I could even say I am willing to spend the rest of my life in this wonderful country. I carry its tradition, culture and people deep in my heart. I hope I did not offend anybody with my question.

Cheers!!

30 Jan 2009