Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching in Thailand - daunting!    

Teaching in Thailand - daunting!

Dean1973
United Kingdom

Teaching in Thailand - daunting!

Hi all,

I �ve been teaching in Thailand for just over 2 years, at a Government School to Mathayom 1 �s (12,13 yr olds). It �s quite easy filling in 50 minutes, they �re not too concerned with what we teach them, as long as we fill in the time and keep the kids quiet, so up until now it �s been relatively easy.

I �ll start private teaching soon, which will means 2 hours, to paying clients. I �m really not sure what I �m going to do for 2 hours. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking something similar to what I do with my school students - maybe a worksheet on a topic and speaking about it for the first hour, and the second hour role playing and conversation (they want to focus on conversation).

There �ll be 3 of them in the class (one 15 year old and 2 adults).

I �d appreciate any suggestions :-)
Dean

4 Aug 2013      

monder78
Poland

To please them do whatever they expect. You �ve written they expect conversation, so converse. Make use of pictures, photos, translations, problem solving, the pros and cons activities, videos, speaking based on reading activities, how do you understand..., finishing sentences. The following are really advisable activites : express you opinion, what would you do if ..., give your own definitions of the word without using these words and mention the words which students are most likely to use , make a decision, justify your point of view , brainstorming , your associations on the subject of ... and many others.

4 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here are some awesome websites with loads of tips, resources and ideas

One of our own members, Philip, teaches in Thailand and has great conversational resources on a variety of topics, but to be able to access his resources here on the site you will have to contribute your own creations and earn points to be able to download. If you are too busy to do that, you can find yourself an awesome deal on his website http://philiproeland.weebly.com/

Sophia

4 Aug 2013     

Dean1973
United Kingdom

Oh wow, thanks monder78 and ueslteacher!

I think one of the biggest things is if you �re imaginative and inventive, thinking up new and creative ways to approach teaching, without letting your anxiety get the better of you ..

It also seems that if I knew how to structure my 2 hours, putting the content in wouldn�t be a problem, it�s knowing what to do when, time allocated to each part etc, then you�ve just got to grab hold of content.

I�d be a lot more confident if I could work that out ..

4 Aug 2013