Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > TASKS vs ACTIVITIES    

TASKS vs ACTIVITIES

hadadeanis
Peru

TASKS vs ACTIVITIES

Hello there! "task" and "activity" are words that can create confusion. Most people think these two words to be similar as they appear to have similar meanings. I would like to know what is the difference between them. I am in doubt. Could anyone please help me? Wink Thank you.

17 Aug 2013      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there!

task1 S2 W1 [countable]
1 a piece of work that must be done, especially one that is difficult or unpleasant or that must be done regularly [= job]

ac‧tiv‧i‧ty S1 W1 plural activities
1 [countable usually plural] something that you do because you enjoy it
leisure/recreation/outdoor/cultural etc activities
outdoor activities such as hiking or climbing
2 [uncountable and countable] things that people do in order to achieve a particular aim
political/economic/business etc activity
Everyone is free to engage in peaceful political activity.
fund-raising activities
3 [uncountable] a situation in which a lot of things are happening or a lot of things are being done:
the noise and activity of the city
There �s an amazing level of activity in the town centre currently.
physical/mental activity
Regular physical activity helps to control your weight.

17 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �m sure Paola meant learning activities and task in the context of learning.
Some clarification of task here maybe task is what you have to achieve (the result) and activities are what you do to achieve it...Confused
I �d be glad to hear some experienced teachers � opinions too.
Sophia

17 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The definitions given are good. 
Sophia, I really like that link - what is the difference between a task and an exercise? - and I �m going to include a summary in the newsletter I do for my colleagues. 

I agree task implies that there will be a process, then an outcome; a finished product. An activity is for practice, reinforcement or fun.  

18 Aug 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

In a teaching world these words can be defined in a myriad of different ways! I used Task-based Language Learning and Teaching by Rod Ellis when writing my bachelor.

He defines a task:
"Tasks � are activities that call for primarily meaning-focused language use." (Ellis, 2003 side 3)

A task according to him has a learning element, but more importantly a communicative element.
 Hope that that helps!
Cindy

18 Aug 2013