Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English for 3 year olds    

English for 3 year olds

izulia
China

English for 3 year olds

Hello,
I have a question that might sound... funny, but it �s bothering me because I want to get it right as a language teacher. 
I came to teach a group of 3-4 year olds in the middle of the year last year. The children usually spend more than 6 hours at school and obviously one of the main issues is to make sure they go to the bathroom often enough to prevent accidents. The teachers before me used to call this time "pee-pee time" obviously trying to speak in a kid friendly language. There was no way I could change things around last year but this year I will have new students and I wonder if I should teach them this "word" differently? Should I call it "bathroom time" instead? 

Also the end of the day was called "mama time" last year. Does it sound right? I used to call it "home time" with my 5-11 year old students. 

These two words come up over and over with the little ones, so I would really like to get it right. Please share your ideas about the "baby talk" in the classroom...

Thank you

21 Aug 2013      

libertybelle
United States

I think your answers are more correct.
I don �t believe it is a teacher �s job to speak baby talk to young children - let their parents do that.
Bathroom time and home time is perfect.

21 Aug 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

A little anecdote: We taught our son to use the words urinate and defecate since he first learned how to speak. When he was in kindergarten he became ill and was sent to the nurse. She asked him if he needed to pee.  My son didn �t have a clue as to what she meant until she asked him if he needed to use the bathroom.

21 Aug 2013     

Apodo
Australia

We use the word �toilet �  because a bathroom is where you have a shower or a bath etc. in Australian English. The toilet is often not in the bathroom, but in a separate room, so for our students this would be confusing.

Do you want to go to the toilet?
It �s time to go to the toilet. (or toilet time)
Wash your hands after you go to the toilet.
Students with disabilities sign �T � when they need to go.

Home time (or time to go home) sounds fine. I don �t think a teacher should use baby talk. The children will learn to use any word you give them, even if some take a little longer than the others.

21 Aug 2013     

molliemajere
Korea, South

I teach 3 years old as well, and I teach them all how to say complete sentences.  First they learn the word bathroom.  Then I taught them how to say "May I go to the bathroom, please?"  Anytime they need to go they have to ask, and I help them if the stumble over the words to say "May I go to the bathroom"   This has helped them pick up other full sentences quickly too, and they started saying things on their own like "May I go to the gym" etc.  I teach the the vocab. words then how to apply them into sentences.  I �ve learned that if you teach them baby talk, as foriegners, they will continue to use it when they get older not knowing it was baby talk.  Teaching them the full sentences helps them able to substitute other words in and be able to say multiple sentences and pick up on phrases.

22 Aug 2013