Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > negative questions with the pronoun "I" and verb to be in the present tenses    

negative questions with the pronoun "I" and verb to be in the present tenses

[email protected]
Egypt

negative questions with the pronoun "I" and verb to be in the present tenses

Hello everyone,
I wonder what is the correct form of verb to be to use in the negative questions with the pronoun "I"  in the present tenses.
For example:
A: wash the dishes.
B: ............n �t I washing them now?
I appreciate your help.

29 Aug 2013      

raul.vasquez.ramirez
Chile

aren �t I...? just as in a question tag, or Am I not....?

Well I �m not that sure

any native can help us?

29 Aug 2013     

douglas
United States

http://www.grammarerrors.com/grammar/arent-iam-i-not/
Though "aren �t  I" is wide-spread (I use it too), it is not proper English--it should be: "am I not?"

30 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Am I not?� is usually used in a �tongue in cheek � sort of way, or for emphasis. The usual tag is �aren �t I.� 
Edit: e.g. �I am the best educated person in the room, am I not?� 
�Amn�t I?� may be spoken in certain parts of the UK, although I haven�t heard it, but it would certainly be incorrect on paper. 

30 Aug 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

In Scottish and Irish English, we still tend to use the fairly obvious inversion, amn�t I. It seems that the �m� sound in the contraction was dropped in Southern English speech many centuries ago - to produce something like a�n�t, which first appeared in print in the 17th century. According to the best usage dictionary in the world (MWDEU, of course), aren�t is a recent contraction and nobody�s too sure how this �curious hybrid� came about. 
It�s not really a problem in the UK these days (�colloquially acceptable�), and it looks like the American opposition to it is softening - although the old language maven himself, William Safire, actually preferred ain�t I

30 Aug 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

History is a beautiful thing, often lost in translation. So people do say �Aren �t I" more often, but you �ll hear the old (?) or even bad (according to some) "Ain �t I". Having said this, the Microsoft people always want to correct the latter, but they are Americans, so .... The best thing to do is change the subject altogether and say something like: "Aren �t you supposed to do the washing up?" Cheers, Peter.

30 Aug 2013     

alexziaa
France

I am not 
She is not 
He is not 
it is not 
They are not 
We are not 

Inese and Obama are not 

and same in the short forms....

I �m not
She isn �t 
He isn �t 
it isn �t 
They aren �t 
We aren �t

I hope all is as clear as Vodka ??? 
take care !!!! 

30 Aug 2013     

Mariethe House
France

What an erudite explanation, Alex(Almaz)! I love it! Thank you.

30 Aug 2013     

raul.vasquez.ramirez
Chile

Alex he �s asking about the negative question form not the negative itself

30 Aug 2013     

[email protected]
Egypt

Thanks for all the clear explanations.

30 Aug 2013