Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary problem    

vocabulary problem

flo84
France

vocabulary problem

Hi

Is there a word to qualify students who take their lunch at school?  I know that students that spend the whole week at school are referred as boarders but I can �t think of a word for students who take their meal at the school canteen. Can somebody help me?

30 Aug 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

In the USA, we call them "students." All students typically stay at school for lunch, whether they buy it in the school cafeteria or bring it from home. Students from qualifying families may be eligible for reduced-price or free lunches from the cafeteria. Of course, this is for kindergarten - high school students. College students are on their own.

30 Aug 2013     

flo84
France

Thank you. I have no choice than to make a long sentence "students who eat at the school canteen" then. So does it mean that in the USA no students are allowed to take their meal outside school (either at a restaurant or their home) ?

30 Aug 2013     

nathalie891
France

In the highschool where I spent a few months, lunch break was really short, so no time to go back home!

30 Aug 2013     

mfraczek
France

In my 6� book, they are called Day boarders , but it �s in England.
Hope it helps you

30 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Two main groups: Students who have school lunch and students who bring a packed lunch. In secondary schools (11-18), not many go home for lunch because the time is too short and they live too far away.

30 Aug 2013     

flo84
France

To all thank you very much

30 Aug 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In some high schools, students are allowed to leave campus for lunch. However, the lunch break is usually only 30 minutes, so even going to a nearby fast food restaurant is tricky.

30 Aug 2013     

Jayho
Australia

To us here, boarders are students who "live" at the school and not with their families (usually students from isolated country areas or overseas students). They only go home in the holiday breaks, and sometimes not even then.

Students who attend regular school hours are simply referred to as students.  Some private schools might refer to them as day boarders if the school provides meals as arranged with the parents.

In Australia, schools do not provide meals. Students are not allowed to go to the local shops. Some students, with school permission, might go home for lunch but most students bring a packed lunch.  A small proportion of students will buy their lunch from the school canteen (mostly staffed by parent volunteers). The canteen does not usually have seating facilities - it is more like a kiosk. Students eat outdoors in the fresh air - in the grassed or undercover areas - where there is plenty of seating. If there is no canteen on site, there will be an arrangement with a local cafe which provides a limited school lunch menu and will deliver pre-ordered lunches to the school.

Cheers

Jayho

30 Aug 2013     

sebs29
Colombia

School dinners (to have lunch at school) and packed lunch (homemade) , that �s how we ref. to them in the UK.

30 Aug 2013     

Pelletrine
France

There are really not many other countries than France that have 1.30 or even a 2 hour �s lunchbreak ....  so kids rarely go out of school to have lunch elsewhere: hence no name for those students. In our English - classes we call them "half-day borders" (to translate the French "demi-pensionnaires".
Le Robert & Collins :  demi-pensionnaire = day pupil/�tre demi-pensionnaire = to take school lunches.

Enjoy your week end and have a nice schoolstart on Monday ;o))

30 Aug 2013     

1    2    Next >